Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use respirator other than SCBA for overhaul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChicagoFF
    Same here........

Same here........
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Comment

us too, and probably most of the state(Rhode Island) until a Firefighter named Kenny Baker from the city of providence gave us all a wake up call, maybe some of you read the cyanide case on firehouse

Comment

Guilty.
        Originally posted by ThNozzleMan
        Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
        FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Comment

I respectfully invoke my rights under the Fifth Amendment, and refrain from answering...Err, stating...Err, telling...Oh, what the hell! I'm guilty too!
          Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
          IAFF Local 2339
          K of C 4th Degree
          "LEATHER FOREVER"
          Member I.A.C.O.J.
          http://www.tfdfire.com/
          "Fir na tine"

Comment

I used to...but then I decided I'd like to live to, and enjoy retirement. Black boogers are overrated.

Comment

check into the WIFF filter that FireInnovation www.fireinnovation.com sells.
              has an aloe type gell in it to keep from breathing hot air, and blocks nearly all CO. I don't have the specific lab results, but I was told it was 99-100% CO blocked. they came give you all the info, very nice to talk to. very cheap $$$.
              can't wait for mine to get here to try it in the building or wildland.

Comment

It will help you tremendously to tighten your waist strap and loosen the shoulder straps....therefor shifting the weight to your lower body.....hmmm can't find my spell check

Comment

hey thanks

I really appreciate all the good info and honest replies. First you convinced me to definitely wear my SCBA for overhaul, and then a lot of you stepped up and said that you didn't really wear it yourselves, LOL, and I respect you for your truthfulness, But now I am worried about you folks...want everybody to live a good long life!

I am thinking that on the hydrogen cyanide and carbon monoxide, we could spot-test the air for those things to be sure it's OK to take off the pack, and then just wear a half-face mask with a particulate filter. Testing the air is what I do for my day job and it's pretty easy. :-) What other things could be in the air after a fire?

And on that last post from Johnfd86, I will try loosening the shoulder straps on the pack. I have most of the weight on my shoulders now. Thanks for the suggestion.

Everybody keep safe.

Comment

Phosgene, benzene rings, methylbutyl badstuff, heat, Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (smoke), any vapors that can kill you may be their. Just wear your scba. Is it worth risking your life for your comfort? If you answer yes then we might need to rethink our career here. I to admit to taking it off early. My bad
                    J
                    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

I am guilty of mask off as soon as visibility permits.

We have CO safety NAZIS in our area now, when CO hits 30 ppm they freak and start screaming but when confronted with the following

¦ The OSHA PEL is 50 parts per million (ppm).
                      OSHA standards prohibit worker exposure to
                      more than 50 parts of the gas per million parts
                      of air averaged during an 8-hour time period.
                      ¦ The 8-hour PEL for CO in maritime operations
                      is also 50 ppm. Maritime workers, however,
                      must be removed from exposure if the CO
                      concentration in the atmosphere exceeds
                      100 ppm. The peak CO level for employees
                      engaged in Ro-Ro operations (roll-on roll-off
                      operations during cargo loading and unloading)
                      is 200 ppm.
                      They look at you cross eyed and their heads want to explode. It is fun
                      "Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself."

Comment

I find it much easier to work without a mask so whenever an officer takes his off, mine goes too. Its more comfortable, easier to maneuver, especially for us small people....

Comment

Originally posted by emsff32515
                          I find it much easier to work without a mask so whenever an officer takes his off, mine goes too. Its more comfortable, easier to maneuver, especially for us small people....
                          so we have 2 firefighters to rescue now, sounds like a stupid idea
                          J
                          It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfd45
                            so we have 2 firefighters to rescue now, sounds like a stupid idea
                            Originally posted by mcfd45
                            I to admit to taking it off early. My bad

Comment

well i never said i didn't do it
                              J

Comment

LOOK...this is really pretty simple. For me, if I feel like I need my mask, regardless of what my officer or other FF's are doing, I wear it. If not, and my officer has his off, mine is off too.

It is however...hypocritical to tell people to wear their mask and then in the next breath to tell them YOU don't. Sorry if that is harsh, but sometimes that is simply the truth.

FyredUp
                                Crazy, but that's how it goes
                                Millions of people living as foes
                                Maybe it's not too late
                                To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse