Mask condensation - how to prevent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by enginegirl
    OK, I realize with all the smoke we can't see anything anyway, but what do all of you do to prevent condensation inside your mask? At least moisture on the outside of the mask can be wiped away, but the stuff INSIDE the mask is a pain. Suggestions?
    Seriously....deal with it and press on.
    IACOJ Member

Comment

thanks

Frmboybuck, thanks for the suggestions on the bypass valve and the dish soap. As a newbie it helps to learn from those with experience!

Comment

One word of advise EngineGirl.....Be very selective about when you crack the bypass valve. The more you do it the more air you use. There might come a time you wish you had that air back. Just dont over do it. Good luck and stay safe!
        Buck
        Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Comment

love that air

FrmBoyBuck, that's good advice. I realy love having lots of air, LOL. I did a live burn last month and we used up a lot of air just getting the charged line up two flights and around a bunch of corners. So keeping the mask clear wasn't as important as having enough air to fight the fire on each floor! Thanks for the reminder. "Air is good, air is good..."

Comment

Also remember to use your skip breathing.....Im in the habit of using it everytime I have a mask on. If you get into the habit of doing it you can make your air last a long time compared to most
            Buck
            Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Comment

Originally posted by doughesson
              When I dabbled in snorkeling,I learned to spit into the mask and rub it around a bit to cut down on fogging up.
              Most SCBA rigs have a nose cup that cuts fogging and there are anti fogging wipes on the market.Brigade Quartermasters is the only catalog I can think of right now that carries them.
              That and keeping up with cleaning the mask after using it will go a long way to keeping down the fog.

Brigade quartermasters, I havent gotten one of those catalogs in FOREVER! I need to order one of those................back to your regularly scheduled programming.
              ------------------------------------
              These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
              ------------------------------------

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X