No announcement yet.

Hose Reel instead of Crosslay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was also on the Essex Fire Department from 1983-87 when they had thier original reel truck. It carried a little under 2000' of 4", 300 gallons of water and had a front-mount 1000 gpm pumper. The reel worked very well, as it allowed us to lay down the hose quite quickly, and allowed us to pick it up even faster.

There were several other departments in VT that also had reel trucks, including Cambridge. A few, even had smaller reels on smaller chassis, such as F450s, which worked quite well.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Crosslays vs. Reels

We've had great success with reels since the 1970's era. Our Class A pumpers have had two attack reels located in the rear of the apparatus. The idea is to allow the engine to pull a little past the incident to allow room for the ladder company. Each reel has 200' of 1.75 preconnect attack lines that are "triple packed" so essentially the nozzleman is only pulling approx 66' of hose which flakes itself out. We also have crosslays on our apparatus which work well when packed correctly but only use them if additional lines are needed. Anyone interested in seeing pics of the engine feel free to e-mail me.

Captain Stephen Kane
      Laurel Springs Fire Dept.
      New Jersey
      [email protected]hotmail.com

Comment

Check it out...

http://www.qvec.org/FDS%20TO%20REDO/...e_tank_190.htm

Scroll down to the second picture. Looks like it would work. Dalmatian190 on these boards can give you more information. He is/was a member.

Comment

Probably the most unusual feature of the rear of the ET 190 is the "Charged Lines." Yes, that's standard structural fire hose, 200' of 1.5" on the bottom and 150' of 1.75" on the top reel. We rewind it, maintaining about 50psi on the hose. The advantage is... need only 50', pull only 50' and you have water.
          Not unusual for us to have a team at the doorway already attacking the fire with fifty or sixty feet of hose off the truck, while other members are pulling the rest of the line off the reel!
          Now that is one of the most unique and interesting things I have ever seen done in the fire service. Leaving attack lines precharged with some residual pressure and then rolled up. I like it. It's weird, but I still like it.
          Fir Na Tine
          Fir Na Au Saol

Comment

Wow, that is very unique indeed. I've never seen or even heard of such a thing. It's like taking the booster reel non-collapsible hose concept to the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by needlejockey
              Now that is one of the most unique and interesting things I have ever seen done in the fire service. Leaving attack lines precharged with some residual pressure and then rolled up. I like it. It's weird, but I still like it.
              Same here... Could see that working in are city on the back alley roads. Were theres not alot of room to lay out the line.

www.PineBluffFire.com

Comment

I imagine it would potentially be heavier to pull since it is partly charged, but with a good enough reel, that friction could be made just shy of nothing. I have to say that this concept takes my attack line reel idea to another level.
                Fir Na Tine
                Fir Na Au Saol

Comment

I have seen/used preconnected 1-3/4" on reels and 3" on large reels in place of a traditional hosebed. I personally did not like them. Right off the bat, if the line is charged and the hose is not completely off of the reel, it will crush the drum. And trust me, it is a VERY COSTLY mistake! Also with the 3" hose reels, when the hose is being deployed, a member has to jockey a "drum brake" as they lay out the hose. A traditional hosebed and traditional crosslays with loops to assist in the deployment works much better - especially when deployed properly. I hope that this helps.

Comment

crosslays on reels? how about not putting crosslays on apparatus period!..

Comment

Originally posted by Steeda83
                      crosslays on reels? how about not putting crosslays on apparatus period!..
                      And how do you suggest we get the water to the fire with? Carry it in buckets?
                      Fir Na Tine
                      Fir Na Au Saol

Comment

And how do you suggest we get the water to the fire with? Carry it in buckets?

you've never heard of running all your preconnected lines off the back of the rig? or how about not running preconnected lines at all! ..besides i was only trying to get a rise out of some people, i guess it worked
                        Last edited by Steeda83; 10-04-2006, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeda83
                          ..besides i was only trying to get a rise out of some people, i guess it worked
                          By the power vested in me by no one, I hereby dub thee the new Trojanhorse. Congratulations on your new position of Troll. Enjoy.
                          Fir Na Tine
                          Fir Na Au Saol

Comment

By the power vested in me by no one, I hereby dub thee the new Trojanhorse. Congratulations on your new position of Troll. Enjoy.
                            That's already been discussed.... We're just waiting for him to trip up and confirm it.
                            Originally posted by ThNozzleMan
                            Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
                            FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by rfd599
                              To all:

This may be a little off subject, but does anyone have 5" LDH on a reel. I believe I saw this in Boston and wondered how well it worked. Does anyone else use this or have they seen it used, and if so, how well does it work?

rfd599
                              www.IllinoisFireStore.com
                              A department neighboring my old volunteer department kept their LDH on reels.I think it was to ease take up but never asked nor had I ever seen them use those rigs.Though it looks like it might be workable,it took up a lot of space on the back step.

Comment

Originally posted by Res343cue
                                That's already been discussed.... We're just waiting for him to trip up and confirm it.

love you too hunny

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X