Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He said it still gave you enough length without being too long.

I like my 6-footer. It's only marginally heavier than a 5-foot, but when you're overhauling, the lower your hands are, the better. Plus, most people where I work grab a 4-5 ft. hook. Inevitably, there's something further away that needs to be reached.

I'm still mastering using the NY hook for pulling drywall (we don't have any plaster/lathe around here), as I'm used to a drywall hook. The fork works AWESOME for cleaning corners pulling really stubborn wallboard, or anything tougher than wallboard. Yesterday, I had to use it to pull spikes out of railroad ties so that we could overhaul a retaining wall.

Comment

http://www.fireengineering.com/displ...unch-Technique

http://www.fireengineering.com/video...tid=1364242952

Comment

NY Roof Hook

The NY Roof Hook is a very good tool and it is definately the future of pike poles, hooks, etc...At my part time FD, we have the NY Roof Hooks and once a FF is introduced to the different applications of the tool and he/she sees it work, they become "hooked" with no pun intended. At my full time FD, the person in charge of new tools is very close minded and slow to adapt or implement anything that is new. Sorry, I almost went left of center and completely off topic.
        The NY Roof Hook is superior to the olden wooden pike poles and/or the fiberglass hooks as well. I've seen these hooks bend but never break. they ar great for vehicle fires or MVA's as well. They provide much more leverage for any prying application. As far as a search tool, they are much more manipulative than a regular hook especially if you are sweeping a room. If I were to make any recommendation, pair your NY Roof Hook with a haligan and you will be able to manipulate most situations you come across. There will be some applications where your hook is to long or the space is to tight and this is where the haligan comes into play and vice versa.
        One application in particular is to put the pry end of your hook under an outward swinging door and apply downward pressure. This will create a gap at the bottom and along the lower sides of the door. Put the adz end of your haligan in the gap along the lower side of the door and aggressively work your way up the door and it should open with relative ease. Also, when forcing a door on a fire room conventionally with a haligan, use the "crooked T" or hook end of your NY Roof Hook to reach in and pull the door shut until ready to make entry. Also, when on the roof, nothing grabs roofing material after a cut is made better than a Roof Hook. It is actually a steel rod so shattering glass on skylights or scuttles is of no obstacle. I would also recommend that if you do decide to use these hooks at your department, do not order anything less than 6 feet. Any thing smaller is just an oversized haligan.
        This Hook is part of my efforts to bring back the true art of "Truckmanship" and the appications for this tool are endless and only limited by your training and imagination. Lt. Ciampo, FDNY has alot of tricks of the trade and applications for the hook. FireEngineering.com and go to the training videos.

Comment

^^^^^Excellent info!^^^^^
          Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
          IAFF Local 2339
          K of C 4th Degree
          "LEATHER FOREVER"
          Member I.A.C.O.J.
          http://www.tfdfire.com/
          "Fir na tine"

Comment

Originally posted by fireman4949 View Post
            ^^^^^Excellent info!^^^^^