Halligan+Axe vs. Halligan+Sledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halligan+Axe vs. Halligan+Sledge

I've had the opportunity to use both, and I know it's been discussed on here before in small tidbits.... but when do you replace your flathead axe with a sledge for use in an "Irons" configuration?

I'd rather carry a sledge all the time with the halligan because if I needed a thin edge to drive into something, I could just use the fork, or drive in the point.... Oh screw it, if I need to get into/through something that bad, use the damn sledge!

So yeah, when do you change it out, if you do at all?
    Originally posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Heavy duty doors such as project buildings...Metal on Metal, or heavily fortified doors with multiple locks, were the hinge side might be quicker. Thats when we opt to go for the sledge....but the axe can also gain you leverage the sledge cant such as a caddy-cornerd apt door. The option is up to the irons that day....his experiance and the building will guide his decision from run to run. There is no pancea for this operation.......know your buildings and be aware of your surroundings.
    IACOJ Member

Comment

personally I prefer to carry the axe with the irons all the time. Even when I'm going to the projects. Sometimes you don't need that brute force on the project doors; you just need to finesse the fork around the jam. The only time I like to take a maul is if I have the roof in a project or if a building is all cinder blocked up!

Comment

Hey Vin, I have'nt seen you around here in a while! Anyways why don't you just stick to your thingy that sprays water!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by firefiftyfive
          Hey Vin, I have'nt seen you around here in a while! Anyways why don't you just stick to your thingy that sprays water!!!!
          HAHA.....I love it how you guys scramble when it gets a wee bit hot, screaming "get the line in there...."....waaaaaa.......
          IACOJ Member

Comment

I've used both. I prefer 8 lbs. Axe/Halligan combo. I think it would be very rare (and I've never seen it) where the difference between a maul vs. Axe made the difference. As said before, if you know how to use a Halligan properly, the axe is enough to drive the tool.

My reasons for perfering the axe; the striking surface of the back of the axe vs. the striking surface of the maul is better (hold the two up against the Halligan and you'll see the difference). The axe can easily be used to keep a purchase in the door while the Halligan is re-positioned. The axe makes a nice Chock for the fire-apartment door, with a long yellow handle to grab and remove it if conditions deteriorate and the door must be closed.

Now this is not to say that guys who use the Maul are wrong. We have guys in my company who use it very, very well. What ever you decide, have a reason for it! Give it some thought, way the pros and cons and make an educated choice.

Comment

Originally posted by VinnieB
              HAHA.....I love it how you guys scramble when it gets a wee bit hot, screaming "get the line in there...."....waaaaaa.......

Hold up the line we got it with the can!!!

Comment

Originally posted by firefiftyfive
                Hold up the line we got it with the can!!!
                Yeah...but that wouldn't be a job then.......And I know how you are all about "the can".....
                IACOJ Member

Comment

Ever thought about a TNT tool?
                  Service is the rent you pay for having space on earth.

Comment

You look more like a fireman with an axe...but a sledge will work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by HFRH28
                      Ever thought about a TNT tool?
                      Please tell me you don't mean this P.O.S...

One of the most worthless tools I can imagine trying to use. I know I wouldn't want the hook from the pike end digging into me as I try to use it as an axe, or even trying to pull a wall or ceiling with the axe's blade right there... Just a bad combination, and you still need a second tool to go along with it!
                      Originally posted by ThNozzleMan
                      Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
                      FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Comment

Most of the time we use the axe with the halligan, but it depends on the building we're at. I agree the TNT tool only works well on paper.

Comment

Ever heard of a Maul, use that with a halligan then you have a sledge, an axe and your halligan so you can take on anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 27Truck
                            Ever heard of a Maul, use that with a halligan then you have a sledge, an axe and your halligan so you can take on anything.

No, whats a maul?
                            Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Comment

Originally posted by nyckftbl
                              No, whats a maul?
                              Isnt that where all the teenagers hang out?
                              Shawn M. Cecula
                              Firefighter
                              IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse