X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MattyS
    replied
    Originally posted by capt4704
    Hey if you would like info, give me your email and I will send you lots of files.

Hey CAPT!!! send over whatever you want to pass along to the next generation.....

[email protected]

Leave a comment:

• FD2019
    replied
    In swinging doors are more of a pain than out swinging doors but one person still can force it with just a halligan if you use the right method. When the lock is on the right side you swing the pick of the halligan into the jam near the lock then push the adz against the door forcefully down and away from you. If the lock is on the left side you swing the adz into the jam near the lock then forcefully push the pick against the door down and away from you. It does require quite a bit of force. Ideally you would want 2 people forcing an in swinging door but it can be done with one person. And sometimes it may require more than one try. Rabbit tools are not meant to be used on wood frame doors.

Leave a comment:

• capt4704
    replied
    Info for Forcible Entry

Hey if you would like info, give me your email and I will send you lots of files.

Leave a comment:

• needlejockey
    replied
    Originally posted by chrisdurkin44
    Please describe the procedure you would use to force an inward-swinging, dead bolted residential door with just a halligan.

Thank you.
    Adze end near the lock. Push the tongs towards the door.

Leave a comment:

• chrisdurkin44
    replied
    Please describe the procedure you would use to force an inward-swinging, dead bolted residential door with just a halligan.

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• johnny46
    replied
    You're telling me that one firefighter can easily force a residential dead-bolted door in a rabbeted jamb with just a halligan? You must have some real Hulk Hogans on your department.
    Am I missing something here?

A good mule kick will take most residential doors, so why wouldn't a halligan work? The halligan is under used. Many times you won't even damage the door or the frame if you work it right.

With the inward moving doors, I think I lay down a little damage, even if I use a semi-gentle method with the halligan.

Leave a comment:

• VinnieB
    replied
    You're telling me that one firefighter can easily force a residential dead-bolted door in a rabbeted jamb with just a halligan? .
    Yupe...that's what he is saying.....and I can second it.

Leave a comment:

• nyckftbl
    replied
    You're telling me that one firefighter can easily force a residential dead-bolted door in a rabbeted jamb with just a halligan? You must have some real Hulk Hogans on your department.

Im willing to bet that EVERY member of my dept. can force a residential deadbolted door with just a halligan. And I think many on these forums can say the same.

And how exactly do you plan on controlling the door after you've rammed it with your battering ram? If you force the door, with no hoseline ready yet, and cant control the door, then what? If the public hallway in a MD isnt that charged, most of us wont put on our facepiece until we have forced the door. After we force it, we CONTROL it, and mask up. Without control of the door, you just decreased anyone's chances of survival inside that door, and if you are in a apt complex, you just put everyone trying to evacuate from above the fire in harms way.

Leave a comment:

• chrisdurkin44
    replied

Leave a comment:

• capt4704
    replied
    Wow!

A battering ram? I have one on our Rescue and that is where it sits. It is too heavy and very limited in use. Too much time to use a axe or bar? How about training with the tool to know what it takes and how long it will take to force the door. Residential doors can be forced using technique and a little bit of a** put behind the bar. A properly trained Firefighter with a Halligan bar can force a door with ease. You bring your batterring ram, I'll bring my Pro-Bar. Rabbit Tools are for commercial doors, and arent meant to be used on wood frame doors. Can they be used for inward residential doors, sure but how about a Halligan. What about "try before you pry".

Leave a comment:

• chrisdurkin44
    replied
    The quickest way to force an inward-swinging door is to kick it in or use a battering ram. Forcing them with an axe and halligan takes too much time in my opinion and usually requires more than one try. Rabbit tools are great, but they are great for doors set in metal jambs. When you use the rabbit tool on a wood frame door, the stop ends up failing before the door is forced open the most of the time.

Leave a comment:

• LFD2203
    replied
    Is a "soft battering ram" in the same category as a "dark light beer" and "jumbo shrimp"?

Leave a comment:

• MattyS
    replied
    ok..well just to add fuel over here, I have in fact used a nozzle as a FE tool, and well, it turned out just fine. Heaven didn't burn, Hell didn't freeze over, I didn't break a 1500 dollar nozzle and the door opened just fine. Keep in mind, it was a cheaper wood slab residental front door. but hey, what the hell..

Leave a comment:

• MEDIC0372
    replied
    It is like a "soft battering ram".

You are not going to smash down big heavy doors but it will help you when you are on your knees and works good if you have two people on the line.

Leave a comment:

• ChicagoFF
    replied
    Originally posted by ChicagoFF
    A couple of heron users ....
    Local dialect for heroin. Maybe it doesn't translate around the rest of the country.......

Three flat = three story building, 20 ft wide (usually, standard Chicago lot is 25x125), three separate units - one per floor

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X