Booster Hose Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booster Hose Survey

We are getting ready to replace the booster hose on our primary truck. The old red rubber jacketed hard line we have been using gets real abuse especially from being dropped down the hole chimney fires. It justs eats that up, with blisters, char etc. Anyone use a hose that is resistant to the abuses especially from chimney fires? Also we are looking for another specialty nozzle for chimney fire purposes. Anyone with experience to share?
    Thanks in advance.

I have never been to a chimney fire that we had to lower a hose into the chimney. In fact, very rarely to we go to the roof at all. Spray the booster up into the chimney. Check the attic. Go home.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

10-4 that Robert ....

But we do use a special lightweight rubber hose that we push up from below the fire (not much damage to the hose at all from below the fire) using wooden sticks (each about 2 1/2 feet long) that join together like a chimney sweeps kit. This kit packs away into a neat little bag for stowage.
      Euro Firefighter 2008 - Strategy & Tactics from the World's Firegrounds

Comment

Originally posted by PaulGRIMWOOD
        10-4 that Robert ....

But we do use a special lightweight rubber hose that we push up from below the fire (not much damage to the hose at all from below the fire) using wooden sticks (each about 2 1/2 feet long) that join together like a chimney sweeps kit. This kit packs away into a neat little bag for stowage.

Also, the spray nozzle that fits on the end of the hose is of a design that has a number of very small holes, the angles of which are designed so that the small jets of water impinge on each other and create a vey fine fog, I have never ever seen the hose get damaged in use, very dirty, but no damage. the hose, if my memory is right was about 35 ft with a stirrup pump which fitted into a 2 gallon bucket, very little water damage, and very efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by protomkv
          I have never ever seen the hose get damaged in use, very dirty, but no damage. the hose, if my memory is right was about 35 ft with a stirrup pump which fitted into a 2 gallon bucket, very little water damage, and very efficient.
          Hey Proto you still remember that far back aayyy bro
          Euro Firefighter 2008 - Strategy & Tactics from the World's Firegrounds

Comment

Originally posted by protomkv
            Also, the spray nozzle that fits on the end of the hose is of a design that has a number of very small holes, the angles of which are designed so that the small jets of water impinge on each other and create a vey fine fog, I have never ever seen the hose get damaged in use, very dirty, but no damage. the hose, if my memory is right was about 35 ft with a stirrup pump which fitted into a 2 gallon bucket, very little water damage, and very efficient.
            Our setup is meant to be dropped down from above, the nozzle is very heavy with the fine misting nozzles jets, about 16 of them, it is really only putting out a fine fog. I dont know what make it is. There is no way you could ever feed it from below. I think over the years the booster hose has just accumulated alot of use.
            Is there something better than rubber hard line?

Comment

Originally posted by PaulGRIMWOOD
              Hey Proto you still remember that far back aayyy bro

Hey Paul,
              The little grey cells are getting a little rusty, but they still work.

Comment

How about a high quality 3/4" garden hose, knowing you'll just trash it every year or few fires or whatever. Make a 35' or so length, use an adapter from whatever firehose thread you have to garden hose.

Costs what, $20/35' ...less if you can just really cheap stuff to replace regulary?

We don't use water on chimneys. Flares or Dry Chemical (extinguisher from the bottom, drop baggies from above) to knock down and chains to knock the creosote off the chimney to overhaul.

We do have a booster using the Niedner Reeltex, which I can assure is not going to take the abuse of your situation. Good hose for general purpose use though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalmatian190
                  We don't use water on chimneys.
                  Same here. Dry chem. And I havent seen a booster reel in 20 years.
                  Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
                  RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
                  Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1983
                    Same here. Dry chem. And I havent seen a booster reel in 20 years.
                    ditto Dal...........
                    ditto Dave.............
                    Robert ............nice pics on FH>com ! Rockin job !
                    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Ditto on the dry chem! Never used a hose in a chimney. We also use: snowballs (much less in the last few years) and a cast iron pan of water in the stove. We no longer sweep chimneys with any tool except a chain with weights on the end.

Comment

We'll either use the dry chem or the water can. Ruined many a carpet needlessly by using a line (we no longer have boosters on the engines). A little PPV on from the inside seems to help a bit, unless you're guy on the roof is looking down the chimney when you turn it on.

Comment

We recently purchased a chimney "snuffer" that is now offered by Task Force Tips. It is a tapered weight with a bunch of what looks like oil burner nozzles in it. It attaches to a 1" "fire resistant" hose which is controlled by a 1/4 turn shut off. In theory the fine mist will take care of the fire without cracking the title liner or flooding the house below. Prior to this we only used powder (dropped down from above in thin baggies, the heat melts the plastic and frees the powder) and chains. Once in a great while a water can or dry powder from below. We had some stubborn fires where there was a change of direction in the flue above the firebox and couldn't get the chains to knock the burning material down. The hope is that the snuffer will allow knockdown on what the chains can not reach. Don't have enough experiance with it to say yet if it is "all that it can be" but it does have promise.
                          Capt406, IACOJ#780

Comment

I've heard of Depts using a short length of old hose to drop down the chimney.
                            If you really like using booster hose on a chimney fire, take your old hose (100'?) and have is shortened into several 20' lengths.
                            E.

Comment

Do What?..........

We bought our last Engine with a booster reel in 1965. Since then, it's been 1.5 line, 2.0 line, and 3.0 line for all your Firefighting needs. We do have a reel on our Brush rig, with about 200' 3/4 hose. The Brush rig also carries about 400' of 1.0 Forestry hose. As for chimney Fires (which seem to be on the increase) we use a Chimney chain if needed, along with dry chem. As far back as I can remember, we were always told not to put water in a chimney, "because it will crack the bricks".
                              Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                              In memory of
                              Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                              Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X