Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

1 1/2 hose and flow question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post

An FDNY apparatus guru is why we have aluminum wheels on our Tower Ladder for the reasons noted. I agree the Roto-ray is not a necessity, but for us the visibility factor was enough to support speccing them. No doubt we all have thoughts and opinions and I wouldn't discount the use of booster reels, we just haven't used them for so long that the loss of space and the cost didn't make sense for our specs.
    I agree that at times we will disagree. Heck that's okay. If we didn't disagree we would all buy the same PPE, same helmets, gloves, scba, hose and apparatus. Amazingly we don't!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post

I agree that at times we will disagree. Heck that's okay. If we didn't disagree we would all buy the same PPE, same helmets, gloves, scba, hose and apparatus. Amazingly we don't!
      I can't imagine how much all this stuff would cost if there wasn't any competition. We can see how well that works for us at a Federal level.

Comment

I guess since I started this thread I should check in...

I've been intending to try out a few of the things discussed in this thread, but since I originally posted I got on with another department. Between being the new guy at one and carrying on with changing training requirements at the other, I've not had a chance to try much of anything.

My new department is pretty progressive; the first out pump has low pressure fog on its 1 3/4 lines and the chief and officers like the transitional attack when the opportunity presents itself. The older apparatus run 1 1/2 lines with a mix of nozzles(lots of those Turbojets again). Smoothbores are still looked down upon.

I'll probably have to ask for a weekend outside of normal training nights to try a few things...
        Two departments, twice the fun...

Comment

Originally posted by MikeG344 View Post
          I guess since I started this thread I should check in...

I've been intending to try out a few of the things discussed in this thread, but since I originally posted I got on with another department. Between being the new guy at one and carrying on with changing training requirements at the other, I've not had a chance to try much of anything.

My new department is pretty progressive; the first out pump has low pressure fog on its 1 3/4 lines and the chief and officers like the transitional attack when the opportunity presents itself. The older apparatus run 1 1/2 lines with a mix of nozzles(lots of those Turbojets again). Smoothbores are still looked down upon.

I'll probably have to ask for a weekend outside of normal training nights to try a few things...
          I have to ask...what is the gpm and NP on those low pressure nozzles?

Turbojets are a rock solid superstar nozzle. Damn near impossible to destroy them. I would bet you have the 30, 60, 95, 125 gpm at 100 psi version. 125 isn't a bad flow, just not what i want these days.

Smooth bores...yeah, good luck with that. The combo nozzle cult is strong and hard to convince.
          Maybe it's not too late

Comment

I have to ask...what is the gpm and NP on those low pressure nozzles?

Turbojets are a rock solid superstar nozzle. Damn near impossible to destroy them. I would bet you have the 30, 60, 95, 125 gpm at 100 psi version. 125 isn't a bad flow, just not what i want these days.

Smooth bores...yeah, good luck with that. The combo nozzle cult is strong and hard to convince.
            150@50 Akron Assaults.

You're right about those Turbos; all model 1715's, 100 psi.

I can't recall what is on the 2.5" hose. Pretty sure it's all 100 psi combos.
            Two departments, twice the fun...

Comment

Originally posted by MikeG344 View Post

150@50 Akron Assaults.

Good solid nozzle. If we didn't have our Elkhart's this would be my choice.

You're right about those Turbos; all model 1715's, 100 psi.

Hard to kill those nozzles. In my opinion one of the toughest nozzles ever built.

I can't recall what is on the 2.5" hose. Pretty sure it's all 100 psi combos.

Another battle for another day.
              Good luck!
              Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Aluminum rims are not a necessity for a fire apparatus. They offer advantages in weight reduction of course, but my bet is the vaste majority of FDs buy them for the coolness factor. As for roto-rays the majority of rigs on my combo department have them and several of our neighbors do too. Heck bells on the bumper are popular around here too. The fire service is enamored with making the rig look cool, sometimes at the expense of more practical firefighting options.

I can tell you if I am on the next apparatus spec committee will push hard for a booster reel. But only if we have set in concrete rules of engagement for it.
                There are a LOT of things that are not "necessities" for an apparatus, but there ARE a lot of things that just make working off of them better. We spec Aluminum rims on our trucks because they perform better, are easier to keep looking good, and last longer. So what if they look nice, that's just a bonus item that causes members to have pride in the truck and take care of it, which is a nice intangible benefit to have. We actually justify the reasons for the items we spec on a truck so that the Trustees understand WHY we spec a truck the way we do. Very few items we spec are for their "coolness". One of the few things we did was to spec a Power Call siren, just because it's different than the usual electronic sirens, and it really didn't cost much more, if at all than a standard one.

We don't have roto-rays, or bells, what we do have are good quality emergency lighting, and an electronic siren and a Q. Most items are spec'd to improve safety, durability, or for ease of use.

If you want or need a reel, fine, go ahead and spec one. We just don't use one enough to justify having one. If we had more grass or wildland fires, I'd absolutely want one, but that's not the case here.

Comment

Originally posted by johnsb View Post

There are a LOT of things that are not "necessities" for an apparatus, but there ARE a lot of things that just make working off of them better. We spec Aluminum rims on our trucks because they perform better, are easier to keep looking good, and last longer. So what if they look nice, that's just a bonus item that causes members to have pride in the truck and take care of it, which is a nice intangible benefit to have. We actually justify the reasons for the items we spec on a truck so that the Trustees understand WHY we spec a truck the way we do. Very few items we spec are for their "coolness". One of the few things we did was to spec a Power Call siren, just because it's different than the usual electronic sirens, and it really didn't cost much more, if at all than a standard one.

We don't have roto-rays, or bells, what we do have are good quality emergency lighting, and an electronic siren and a Q. Most items are spec'd to improve safety, durability, or for ease of use.

If you want or need a reel, fine, go ahead and spec one. We just don't use one enough to justify having one. If we had more grass or wildland fires, I'd absolutely want one, but that's not the case here.
                  There are advantages to aluminum rims but they are NOT a necessity. By the way I have seen some pretty crappy looking aluminum rims that were not taken care of and some really nice looking painted steel rims.

My volly FD does not have a roto ray or bells either. We have quality lighting and Federal Q sirens, one mechanical and 1 EQ2B.

Golly thanks for permission to spec a booster reel. I feel better about it already.

Maybe it's not too late

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250