Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Standpipe kit and ops

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standpipe kit and ops

Our standpipe kit consists of spanners, a pipe wrench, an inline gauge, 2 1/2 to 1 1/2 reducer, wedges and door straps. We run 2 1/2 with a 1 1/8 inch smooth bore off the standpipe and carry the reducer for a smaller line for mop up.

I have seen people talk about using a gate valve, an elbow, and an inline gauge with a drain as their connection to the riser.

So tell me what your set up is.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

The vast majority of our standpipes are wet systems with a built in valve at every outlet. There would be no need to attach a gate valve. I assume some other departments deal with dry systems w/o gates? No elbow required because outlet points downward.

Our kit includes an in line pressure gauge, spanners, pipe wrench, extra control wheels for when it is missing from outlet due to vandalism and adapters to ensure our FDNY fittings can be used on the system. (Code requires our threads but occasionally it is national pipe thread or national standard thread.)

I believe in keeping it simple. Just carry what you will need MOST of the time. That bag could get real heavy.

It is SOP to remove the cap (and pressure reducer on some systems), open the valve and flush system prior to hooking hose up. This verifies water is flowing and also is done to flush out debris, contraband, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post
      The vast majority of our standpipes are wet systems with a built in valve at every outlet. There would be no need to attach a gate valve. I assume some other departments deal with dry systems w/o gates? No elbow required because outlet points downward.

The comments made to me regarded valves that don't work properly. Example being hard to open so it would be harder to gate back the discharge to control flow pressure. So once you had the standpipe valve open you would use the gate valve to gate the discharge as needed.

Our kit includes an in line pressure gauge, spanners, pipe wrench, extra control wheels for when it is missing from outlet due to vandalism and adapters to ensure our FDNY fittings can be used on the system. (Code requires our threads but occasionally it is national pipe thread or national standard thread.)

I believe in keeping it simple. Just carry what you will need MOST of the time. That bag could get real heavy.

I made that point too. Especially in understaffed companies where you want to keep the load light so the guys have something left to allow them to actually fight fire.

It is SOP to remove the cap (and pressure reducer on some systems), open the valve and flush system prior to hooking hose up. This verifies water is flowing and also is done to flush out debris, contraband, etc.

I hadn't thought of that. I will add that to our procedure.
      Like you I am a fan of keeping it as simple as possible. Thanks for your response.
      Maybe it's not too late

Comment

The idea that a valve might just be too hard to operate hadn't occurred to me. Live and learn. Personally haven't seen one where a pipe wrench wouldn't work. But why fight it? The gate would make sense then.

Do you use a pressure gauge or a flow gauge?

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
          Our standpipe kit consists of spanners, a pipe wrench, an inline gauge, 2 1/2 to 1 1/2 reducer, wedges and door straps. We run 2 1/2 with a 1 1/8 inch smooth bore off the standpipe and carry the reducer for a smaller line for mop up.

I have seen people talk about using a gate valve, an elbow, and an inline gauge with a drain as their connection to the riser.

So tell me what your set up is.
          why the reducer ? wont your playpipe do the same ? We carry a small bungee and strap the bale open when extending an 1-3/4 off the playpipe-
          ?

Comment

The idea that a valve might just be too hard to operate hadn't occurred to me. Live and learn. Personally haven't seen one where a pipe wrench wouldn't work. But why fight it? The gate would make sense then.

Do you use a pressure gauge or a flow gauge?
            Pressure gauge.
            Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post

why the reducer ? wont your playpipe do the same ? We carry a small bungee and strap the bale open when extending an 1-3/4 off the playpipe-
              I can't answer that. The kit was assembled before I joined the department.
              Maybe it's not too late

Comment

When I started out the firefighter at the outlet tested the quality of the water supply by stepping on the hose to gauge it's hardness. And the officer gauged it by listening to the stream as it hit walls/ceilings.

Comment

When I started out the firefighter at the outlet tested the quality of the water supply by stepping on the hose to gauge it's hardness. And the officer gauged it by listening to the stream as it hit walls/ceilings.
                  and pretty close --I still step on supply lines when pumping
                  ?

Comment

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post

and pretty close --I still step on supply lines when pumping
                    I do that too.

Maybe it's not too late

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse