Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Opinons on TFT Vortex and Flip Tip nozzles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinons on TFT Vortex and Flip Tip nozzles

My Dept. is looking at replacing some nozzles. At the present time our primary engines have 2 - 200 gpm combination nozzles and 2 - 15/16 s.b. nozzles. We have been looking at the TFT Flip Tip and
    Vortex nozzles.

We have not used either one of these TFT nozzles just seen them in the catalogs and trade magazines.

Are the nozzles effective, easy to use.

Are they worth having?

Thank You in advance for the replies.

local dealer ? Try some out --I prefer basic "break apart" nozzles -KISS principle
    ?

Comment

Glad to hear from you.
      We will be contacting the area dealer about getting a demo set up.
      And I am a big fan of KISS.
      And I came across the Akron Ultrjet nozzle last night. We will be looking at this one also.

Comment

Never been a fan on TFT products for the gimmicks they seem to add to an otherwise well made tool. Automatic nozzles and adjustable flow bales I found unnecessary and potentially dangerous. And TFT seems to be the highest priced nozzles on the market. I like having multiple lines tipped out with different nozzle. Having others in the engineers compartment ensures you can change one if need be. A smoothbore nozzle is a simple as we can get. I'd definitely favor break-apart nozzles over any "swiss army style". As eluded to, I cannot complain about the quality of the manufacturing at TFT, they seem to function as designed very well.

Comment

TFT nozzles are can be a bit on the highside. This will not be a quick decision it will be at least a year before we will make any purchases.
          We are putting the budget together for the next fiscal year.

We have four preconnects on the engines 2- 200 gpm combinaions and 2 - 15/16 SB. With spare nozzles and tips in the compartment.
          We like having the option to change out nozzles if needed.

Comment

The fact is they are a compromise.... That doesn't work very well.

Heavy. Cumbersome. Horrible balance. Very average solid stream.

If you want a broken stream ... Use a combo nozzle. If you want a solid stream ... Use a smooth bore nozzle.

That's keeping it KISS..
            Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
              The fact is they are a compromise.... That doesn't work very well.

Heavy. Cumbersome. Horrible balance. Very average solid stream.

If you want a broken stream ... Use a combo nozzle. If you want a solid stream ... Use a smooth bore nozzle.

That's keeping it KISS..
              I would only modify this slightly:

If you need a solid stream: Use a smoothbore
              If you need Fog: Use a fog nozzle
              If you want a broken stream: Use a Vindicator (a non-adjustable, easy to manage large flow broken stream)

Comment

Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post

I would only modify this slightly:

If you need a solid stream: Use a smoothbore
                If you need Fog: Use a fog nozzle
                If you want a broken stream: Use a Vindicator (a non-adjustable, easy to manage large flow broken stream)
                Want a good laugh? My volly FD tested the Vindicator nozzle a few years back. I loved the high flow at low nozzle pressures and ease of handling. The complaints of the troops were no fog pattern and that the nozzle was too loud. Yep, you heard that right, too loud! Never mind we could flow 167 gpm with 25 psi nozzle pressure and stream reach of about 50 feet. It was too loud. I just stood there shaking my head.

We use a 200 gpm at 75 psi combo on top of a 1 1/4 inch slug tip on our 2 inch lines.
                Crazy, but that's how it goes
                Millions of people living as foes
                Maybe it's not too late
                To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post

Want a good laugh? My volly FD tested the Vindicator nozzle a few years back. I loved the high flow at low nozzle pressures and ease of handling. The complaints of the troops were no fog pattern and that the nozzle was too loud. Yep, you heard that right, too loud! Never mind we could flow 167 gpm with 25 psi nozzle pressure and stream reach of about 50 feet. It was too loud. I just stood there shaking my head.

We use a 200 gpm at 75 psi combo on top of a 1 1/4 inch slug tip on our 2 inch lines.
                  We really like the Vindicators, but I can say that at low pressure/flows the hose kinks pretty easily due to the heavy weight of the nozzle. We flow about 250 @ 50 psi and with two firefighters it can go up from there. In testing we maxed out at about 325 gpm with two firefighters and 1.75" line, after that there were no noticeable gains with increased pressure. Makes for a pretty versatile initial line.

Comment

Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post

We really like the Vindicators, but I can say that at low pressure/flows the hose kinks pretty easily due to the heavy weight of the nozzle. We flow about 250 @ 50 psi and with two firefighters it can go up from there. In testing we maxed out at about 325 gpm with two firefighters and 1.75" line, after that there were no noticeable gains with increased pressure. Makes for a pretty versatile initial line.
                    I saw all the advantages of a heavy hit high flow line, with less back pressure, and no messing around with adjusting the pattern. I don't think I would have replaced everything with Vindicators but I would have liked one on one of our 200 foot preconnects.
                    Maybe it's not too late

Comment

I talked to our local TFT rep about trying the Vortex. I said I am hard pressed to see a need for it but let's give it a shot. So when we can count on a couple days of nice weather we will have one for a few days. I will keep you all informed of what I find out.
                      Last edited by FyredUp; 02-20-2017, 04:12 PM.
                      Maybe it's not too late

Comment

The Vortex is a simple, but neat concept- It's a traditional smooth bore with vanes that drop into the stream with a twist of the collar to break up the stream and give a 'fog" pattern. We demo'd one, and didn't feel the fog pattern, although decent, was that much better than what you end up with by slightly closing the bale on a traditional smooth bore... add to that the extra weight of the mechanism which makes it a little cumbersome.

Still better than a pistol grip autotragic though.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90