Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Transitional Attack and Flow Path Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trust --but verify -
    ?

Comment

• Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post

And if we have any reason to believe that the building still may be occupied .... Same plan. However, 95% of the time when we arrive all of the occupants are outside. The last fire we had in a vacant structure was easily 5 years ago. The last commercial fire was a restraint at 3AM (they closed at 9PM) and no reason at all to believe that anyone was inside.

I had this discussion years ago ...I guess I'm not a believer in "the building ain't empty until the fire department says it's empty.". We know our district pretty well and have a pretty good idea when buildings are occupied and when they are not.
      "Pretty good idea" when they are occupied or not? So do you overhaul to verify final extinguishment or is a "pretty good idea" good enough? Do you check a patient's pulse/respiration or is a "pretty good idea" good enough?

If it is not the job of the fire department to confirm who is or is not out, then whose job is it? And should that same entity decide when enough water has been used or when a building is safe to re-occupy?

You are treating a major fire department function as an afterthought. With very little to no justification whatsoever.

Comment

• Originally posted by captnjak View Post

"Pretty good idea" when they are occupied or not? So do you overhaul to verify final extinguishment or is a "pretty good idea" good enough? Do you check a patient's pulse/respiration or is a "pretty good idea" good enough?

If it is not the job of the fire department to confirm who is or is not out, then whose job is it? And should that same entity decide when enough water has been used or when a building is safe to re-occupy?

You are treating a major fire department function as an afterthought. With very little to no justification whatsoever.
        Agree to disagree.

I don't feel that we treating it as an afterthought at all.

I understand that we live in very different places.

If the family tells us that they are all out of the building they are all out. They know who is at home and who is not.

There are no businesses here that are occupied at 3AM except for the grocery store with 3 overnight stockers and the 24-hour convenience store. None of the other businesses have folks in them at 3AM and if they did, there would be cars outside and/or lights on. We are a small community and hard to believe perhaps, but things are generally pretty straightforward in this part of the world.

Again, if we have any reason to believe that we have folks inside we'll commit a search team but in 99% of the responses that's not the case, and the hose team keeping their eyes out while advancing the line works pretty well.
        Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post

Agree to disagree.

I don't feel that we treating it as an afterthought at all.

I understand that we live in very different places.

If the family tells us that they are all out of the building they are all out. They know who is at home and who is not.

There are no businesses here that are occupied at 3AM except for the grocery store with 3 overnight stockers and the 24-hour convenience store. None of the other businesses have folks in them at 3AM and if they did, there would be cars outside and/or lights on. We are a small community and hard to believe perhaps, but things are generally pretty straightforward in this part of the world.

Again, if we have any reason to believe that we have folks inside we'll commit a search team but in 99% of the responses that's not the case, and the hose team keeping their eyes out while advancing the line works pretty well.
          You choose to work off assumptions because it has worked for you in the past. OK, I get it. Disagree but get it. Plus, you leave no room for growth or change. This is the part that I believe will bite you in the butt at some point.

But please don't pretend that a "hose team keeping their eyes out while advancing the line" even approaches being a real search. You can't "hedge your bet: in this. Either you need it or you don't.

Comment

• I've probably beaten this topic to death by now. Appreciate the debate though.

Stay safe everyone.

Comment

I've probably beaten this topic to death by now. Appreciate the debate though.

Stay safe everyone.
              I enjoy your perspective and agree with a large % of them. On the search -it is like anything else in life -"I would rather do/have something and not need/do ----than find out the hard way that I needed to do or have. And , I am not saying you have to put suppression on the back burner to do a search -short handed , it is a juggling act -but it usually can be done. Note -agreeing -not disputing your stance -I sometimes am not too clear
              Last edited by slackjawedyokel; 02-14-2017, 04:48 PM.
              ?

Comment

• I just have to shake my head at all the macho chest pounding going on in opposition to the Transitional Attack and Flow Path Control. Especially when it is tied to SLICE-RS (a totally different topic in my opinion) and the idea that Rescue priority is being lowered.

The blogs, facebook posts, articles in different fire magazines, and more railing on and on about yard breathers, defensive attacks, not going inside, and cowardice, just make me wonder if people have any idea what they are talking about or if they are more concerned with the macho melting of their Bourkes. The idea has been out there for a few years now, there has been plenty of time to actually read up on it, actually try it, and stop with the absolute BS excuses for not even considering it.

Sorry but I am growing weary of dumb a z zes that just won't open their minds to the possibility that there might be a different way of doing things.
                Last edited by FyredUp; 03-16-2017, 07:27 PM.
                Crazy, but that's how it goes
                Millions of people living as foes
                Maybe it's not too late
                To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

• Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                  I just have to shake my head at all the macho chest pounding going on in opposition to the Transitional Attack and Flow Path Control. Especially when it is tied to SLICE-RS (a totally different topic in my opinion) and the idea that Rescue priority is being lowered.

The blogs, facebook posts, articles in different fire magazines, and more railing on and on about yard breathers, defensive attacks, not going inside, and cowardice, just make me wonder if people have any idea what they are talking about or if they are more concerned with the macho melting of their Bourkes. The idea has been out there for a few years now, there has been plenty of time to actually read up on it, actually try it, and stop with the absolute BS excuses for not even considering it.

Sorry but I am growing weary of dumb a z zes that just won't open their minds to the possibility that there might be a different way of doing things.
                  The only problem I have with flow path control, specifically the door control, is that in real life there's often just not enough manpower to do this. It's one of those limited use tools in the back of the tool box that rarely gets used because of the setup time. And depending on the fire, it may not make any difference once the fire is venting in several places. I think as far as flow path is concerned, the most important thing is to be able to recognize the potential flow paths, and not to be in it.
                  And you'll never see me worrying about melting my Bourkes, they're the most useless piece of gear ever made.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnsb View Post

The only problem I have with flow path control, specifically the door control, is that in real life there's often just not enough manpower to do this. It's one of those limited use tools in the back of the tool box that rarely gets used because of the setup time. And depending on the fire, it may not make any difference once the fire is venting in several places. I think as far as flow path is concerned, the most important thing is to be able to recognize the potential flow paths, and not to be in it.
                    And you'll never see me worrying about melting my Bourkes, they're the most useless piece of gear ever made.
                    You can practice flow path control before entering by not opening the door and leaving it wide open before you are ready to enter.
                    Maybe it's not too late

Comment

You can practice flow path control before entering by not opening the door and leaving it wide open before you are ready to enter.
                      I see this as one of the biggest lessons for some nationwide. How often did we see (and still do) FD's arriving and taking windows before the first line is even stretched? It was/is all too common for the assignment of the OV to just take every window they can reach. Even before flow path studies this was recognized as an issue by many, but by far not all FD's. Now if we can get the public to close the door behind them and keep the cops from letting in more air...

Comment

• There was a video on Statter recently where a front door was forced and left open while nozzle team awaited water and prepared for entry/advance. Before they were ready fire suddenly flashed out the door and basically in their faces. Specuation was that something may have "exploded" inside the house. My guess is a ventilation limited fire was supplied with fresh air and then did what fires do in that situation.
                        Leaving a door wide open is an example of uncontrolled ventilation. It's not guaranteeing a problem but let's call it what it is and accept that it MAY cause a problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post

I see this as one of the biggest lessons for some nationwide. How often did we see (and still do) FD's arriving and taking windows before the first line is even stretched? It was/is all too common for the assignment of the OV to just take every window they can reach. Even before flow path studies this was recognized as an issue by many, but by far not all FD's. Now if we can get the public to close the door behind them and keep the cops from letting in more air...
                          Police and civilians are certainly a wild card factor in all this.

Comment

There was a video on Statter recently where a front door was forced and left open while nozzle team awaited water and prepared for entry/advance. Before they were ready fire suddenly flashed out the door and basically in their faces. Specuation was that something may have "exploded" inside the house. My guess is a ventilation limited fire was supplied with fresh air and then did what fires do in that situation.
                            Leaving a door wide open is an example of uncontrolled ventilation. It's not guaranteeing a problem but let's call it what it is and accept that it MAY cause a problem.
                            I saw that video and I agree that it fed the oxygen starved fire the air it needed and the fire took off. I have seen several videos of similar events with the same results. The problem is clear, with legacy interiors the fires were fuel limited so venting most often made interior conditions better, modern interior fires are most often oxygen limited with more than enough fuel so now venting often makes conditions worse as the fire seems to explode with rapid growth. Vent early, vent often, the mantra for generations may actually be creating rapid fire spread and endangering firefighters today. NO venting should be done today, with perhaps the exception of VES with controlling the hallway door, without charged hoselines and crews ready to go. One of the greatest issues here is getting crews to understand that opening a door is indeed ventilation.
                            Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Police and civilians are certainly a wild card factor in all this.
                              True enough. WE may be able to influence the local police, but if little Billy Joe, or Gramma is in there, we may not have much of a chance with civilians.
                              Maybe it's not too late

Comment

That's kind of a given. I'm talking about after that.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X