• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nameless View Post
    people....
    yes.. we are... people..
    "....train as if your life depends on it, because one day it could.."
    .....Leather Head N6A
    Tillerman..... The best job in the FD!!!

Comment

people....
      I agree, 2 & 3 man truck crews are not good enough.
      FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Comment

In addition to all the hand tools mentioned a TIC and some sort of door opening tool, like a Rabbit Tool or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Trkco1 View Post
          I agree, 2 & 3 man truck crews are not good enough.
          No they aren't. But if that is your reality then it does no good to wish for a man truck. It makes more sense to look at what you have and figure out how to be selective in tactics AND equipment to accomplish the most important tasks first.

I ride on a quint, we are normally staffed with 3 and cross staff with a med unit with 2. Guess how often we ride out with 5?
          Crazy, but that's how it goes
          Millions of people living as foes
          Maybe it's not too late
          To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

We don't have a truck company.

Our rescue serves as our "truck" utilizing the responding engine company ladders.

We carry a very basic assortment of tools: chainsaw, K-12, halligan, flathead/pickhead axes, drywall hooks, a bunch of pike poles, a Fubar, a sledge, prybar and salvage covers.

I would also consider a TIC to be an essential tool for truck
            company work as well. We carry one on our rescue and one on the engine.

We do very little vertical ventilation and our district requires very, very little forcible entry, so our "truck" tool needs are extremly basic.
            Last edited by LaFireEducator; 03-18-2011, 08:25 AM.
            Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
              No they aren't. But if that is your reality then it does no good to wish for a man truck. It makes more sense to look at what you have and figure out how to be selective in tactics AND equipment to accomplish the most important tasks first.

I ride on a quint, we are normally staffed with 3 and cross staff with a med unit with 2. Guess how often we ride out with 5?
              The guy asked for must haves, manpower is at the top of my list. You mention the term "Selective Tactics", just because it's reality it's something that can be rectified. Between S&R, ventilation, laddering/secondary egress and controling of utilities, things that you would hopefully agree that should take place early at every structure fire, a 3 man crew just isn't enough to perform in the initial stages of a job.

That being said, as far as tools,

Roof hook w/ pry end married with a halligan
              Hydra Ram
              2 saws one for wood, one for metal
              10 or 12 lb sledge married with a halligan
              Tools to remove the door lock cylinders at commerical buildings

These are beyond the obvious, TIC, Irons, Hand lights ect.
              FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Comment

to add to my post before.

I am not a huge fan of all the speciality tools that fill the catalogs. Just give me a well maintained compliment of basic tools and people that are good at using them.

Sure a rabbit tool is great to have and has its uses. However I dont consider it to be a must have item. Same with a sheet rock tool. Sure it is great at pulling sheet rock, however it sucks on plaster and lath.

I would much rather have a guy that is great at using a set of irons, instead of a rabbit tool. I would much rather carry a plain old pike pole and have the skill in using it.

To me you can carry all the tools in the world. It is the skill and craftmanship of the men and women on the truck that make all the difference in the world.

Comment

The guy asked for must haves, manpower is at the top of my list. You mention the term "Selective Tactics", just because it's reality it's something that can be rectified. Between S&R, ventilation, laddering/secondary egress and controling of utilities, things that you would hopefully agree that should take place early at every structure fire, a 3 man crew just isn't enough to perform in the initial stages of a job.

That being said, as far as tools,

Roof hook w/ pry end married with a halligan
                  Hydra Ram
                  2 saws one for wood, one for metal
                  10 or 12 lb sledge married with a halligan
                  Tools to remove the door lock cylinders at commerical buildings

These are beyond the obvious, TIC, Irons, Hand lights ect.
                  i ride on a truck co every shift.. A tiller truck co. 99.9% of the time we ride 3. Never have we NOT had enough. Now would i like to have a couple more guys. YES!!! but don't say 3 can't get it done. From ventilation to extrication we make it happen.. with 3.
                  .....Leather Head N6A

Comment

Never said it couldn't be done with three. We run three minimium, my point is that the fourth makes things that much easier. Isn't that what a tool is? Something to make your job easier.
                    Last edited by Trkco1; 03-18-2011, 12:07 AM.
                    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Comment

Never said it couldn't be done with three, two or one. We run three minimium, my point is that the fourth makes things that much easier. Isn't that what a tool is? Something to make your job easier.

NO, staffing is not a tool. Although I have worked with some guys that were tools. The serious point here is you can all day wish for that 4th guy and if the city is NOT going to give it to you, but they will buy you some additional tools to make the job more efficient with 3 guys then you get the tools to make the job more efficient.

I believe that you have to look at your response area and buy the tools that work best there. There is no standard compliment of tools that works best everywhere.
                      Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Never said it couldn't be done with three. We run three minimium, my point is that the fourth makes things that much easier. Isn't that what a tool is? Something to make your job easier.
                        I do agree that the 4th guy (or even 5th) would make things easier.. Or just all around better!
                        .....Leather Head N6A

Comment

The rabbit tool or hydra ram is definitely dependent on the area you run. Yea, you can force doors with conventional forcible entry tools, but if you are going down the hall of an apartment building forcing many doors its quicker to use the hydraulic tools.

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                            I agree with 2 saws, although my selection would be different.

I like the rotary saw for metal of concrete. For venting a wood frame roof I prefer a carbide tipped chain saw. Further I prefer it NOT to have the depth gauge chain guard. I think if you are venting a roof and you can't tell the difference between decking and rafters or trusses, it is time to head back to rookie school and be retrained.

But like everything else in the fire service to each his own...

Stihl use to have a great deal on saws for the fire service. We got a rotary saw and a chain saw, both set up for the fire service, from a Stihl dealer for less than the rotary saw from a fire equipment dealer.
                            TWO saws? Nah, I think that will be 4 Saws,18 hooks in various configuratons, couple denver tools,Lockbreakers,Door Storm,Various axes, Good selection of ground ladders, Ropes, Rit gear,Gas meters,salvage gear,straight crowbars,bottle jacks,dung forks,masonry pick,chimney gear,plumbers snake. T.c.
                            Last edited by Rescue101; 03-18-2011, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RFD21C View Post
                              to add to my post before.

I am not a huge fan of all the speciality tools that fill the catalogs. Just give me a well maintained compliment of basic tools and people that are good at using them.

Sure a rabbit tool is great to have and has its uses. However I dont consider it to be a must have item. Same with a sheet rock tool. Sure it is great at pulling sheet rock, however it sucks on plaster and lath.

I would much rather have a guy that is great at using a set of irons, instead of a rabbit tool. I would much rather carry a plain old pike pole and have the skill in using it.

To me you can carry all the tools in the world. It is the skill and craftmanship of the men and women on the truck that make all the difference in the world.
                              I agree about "speciality" tools. Some are just expensive crap. Others like the rabbit tool definately make life easier. If you don't have a need for one in your area that's fine, but it's very useful by me.

The rabbit tool or hydra ram is definitely dependent on the area you run. Yea, you can force doors with conventional forcible entry tools, but if you are going down the hall of an apartment building forcing many doors its quicker to use the hydraulic tools.
                              ...or high rise. Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
                                TWO saws? Nah, I think that will be 4 Saws,18 hooks in various configuratons, couple denver tools,Lockbreakers,Door Storm,Various axes, Good selection of ground ladders, Ropes, Rit gear,Gas meters,salvage gear,straight crowbars,bottle jacks,dung forks,masonry pick,chimney gear,plumbers snake. T.c.
                                Obviously, I somehow offended you with my 2 saws comment.

No matter...Have a nice day!
                                Maybe it's not too late

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse