Truck Company equipment "MUST HAVES"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Company equipment "MUST HAVES"

Trying to get opinions on tools or equipment a truck Co MUST have. A good truck co crew is only as good as the tools they have access to and the knowlege of use of those tools. So what do you all think is essential to have on a truck co.
    Last edited by thomasldixon33; 03-14-2011, 11:59 PM.
    "....train as if your life depends on it, because one day it could.."
    .....Leather Head N6A
    Tillerman..... The best job in the FD!!!

Common sense and experience.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Comment

Originally posted by Trkco1 View Post
      Common sense and experience.
      Very true my friend
      .....Leather Head N6A

Comment

To me, it seems that starting with the NFPA and ISO standard equipment lists would give you the basic needs. From there you should look at specific local need brought on by any special construction styles or materials.

My volly FD doesn't have a truck company but we carry extra truck equipment on our engines. Things like FDNY Roof Hooks, Boston Rakes, San Francisco Pikes, LA Rubbish hooks, and additional pike poles. We also carry PPV fans, chain and K12 style saws, and extrication equipment.
        Crazy, but that's how it goes
        Millions of people living as foes
        Maybe it's not too late
        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

I'm looking for opinions on what YOU would have on your truck co. Forget about ISO ratings or the NFPA police. From experience what have you deemed MUST HAVE truck CO tools/equipment.
          .....Leather Head N6A

Comment

Beyond real Halligans and good hooks and various saws for your area, one thing that is low upkeep is a duckbill lock breaker. It seems that it takes forever to get replacement shears for boltcutters and they become damaged when going up against a good hard steel in a padlock. The duckbill is awesome with an 8lb. flathead or sledge. It works best with two people and that is a downside at times.
            Attached Files

Comment

Several 6" New York hooks (all steel) , a 6 trash hook with a D handle , three sets of irons plus a set of "heavy irons (sledge mated with an over size pro bar) a 4' clemmens ? hook (the one with the hook bill that will cut thin sheet metal) with a D handle also. also quality bolt cutters. Ill quit now , way to much to list.
              ?

Comment

Originally posted by thomasldixon33 View Post
                I'm looking for opinions on what YOU would have on your truck co. Forget about ISO ratings or the NFPA police. From experience what have you deemed MUST HAVE truck CO tools/equipment.
                Sorry I wasted your time. You see in MY state we still use ISO, so we attempt to keep the minimum ISO, or suitable replacement, equipment on our rigs.

Back to your normally scheduled look for help from other people on how to supply your truck. I guess we have a different way of doing things we look at our local area and buy the additional equipment WE deem appropriate.
                Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                  Sorry I wasted your time. You see in MY state we still use ISO, so we attempt to keep the minimum ISO, or suitable replacement, equipment on our rigs.

Back to your normally scheduled look for help from other people on how to supply your truck. I guess we have a different way of doing things we look at our local area and buy the additional equipment WE deem appropriate.
                  ..... somebody is a little grumpy!!! Be happy man! We as well are ISO rated and are set to standards by the NFPA... and I'm just a tillerman so i honestly have little say in what we put in our trucks. I was just curious to see what others opinions where on tools to have on a truck.. listen to some Cher and eat some ice cream.. That should take you down a couple notches.. happy tuesday!!!
                  .....Leather Head N6A

Comment

2 Rotary saws. 1 for metal and one for wood.

Comment

PRO BARS (often imitated but never duplicated)
                      6' Halligan hooks
                      I personally can not stand D handle hooks. I some how manage to always jam my hand in them everytime I use them.

Ground Ladders.
                      would love to have a 45 or 50 footer for those few times when they are needed.
                      Personally I love 16 or 18 ft straight ladders perfect for laddering the 2nd floor of SFDs and lighter then a 2 fly 24 ft EXT ladder.
                      Another type of ladder that we carry that I love is a small 14 ft ext ladder. Perfect to take inside for getting up to the attic. A whole lot better then the 10ft folding ladders.

Items I would leave in the closet back at the station

TNT tool
                      Claw tool
                      Hux bar
                      Holligan bars
                      Fog Nozzle for the ladder pipe
                      EMS equipment (Joke)

Comment

Originally posted by RFD21C View Post
                        PRO BARS (often imitated but never duplicated)
                        6' Halligan hooks
                        I personally can not stand D handle hooks. I some how manage to always jam my hand in them everytime I use them.

Ground Ladders.
                        would love to have a 45 or 50 footer for those few times when they are needed.
                        Personally I love 16 or 18 ft straight ladders perfect for laddering the 2nd floor of SFDs and lighter then a 2 fly 24 ft EXT ladder.
                        Another type of ladder that we carry that I love is a small 14 ft ext ladder. Perfect to take inside for getting up to the attic. A whole lot better then the 10ft folding ladders.

Items I would leave in the closet back at the station

TNT tool
                        Claw tool
                        Hux bar
                        Holligan bars
                        Fog Nozzle for the ladder pipe
                        EMS equipment (Joke)
                        WHAT HE SAID!!! I think I have found my long, lost twin!!! Don't forget the proper saws like my man from LI said a few posts up. That sums it up!
                        Last edited by RFDGloWorm; 03-16-2011, 06:03 PM.

Comment

I agree with 2 saws, although my selection would be different.

I like the rotary saw for metal of concrete. For venting a wood frame roof I prefer a carbide tipped chain saw. Further I prefer it NOT to have the depth gauge chain guard. I think if you are venting a roof and you can't tell the difference between decking and rafters or trusses, it is time to head back to rookie school and be retrained.

But like everything else in the fire service to each his own...

Stihl use to have a great deal on saws for the fire service. We got a rotary saw and a chain saw, both set up for the fire service, from a Stihl dealer for less than the rotary saw from a fire equipment dealer.
                          Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                            I agree with 2 saws, although my selection would be different.

I like the rotary saw for metal of concrete. For venting a wood frame roof I prefer a carbide tipped chain saw. Further I prefer it NOT to have the depth gauge chain guard. I think if you are venting a roof and you can't tell the difference between decking and rafters or trusses, it is time to head back to rookie school and be retrained.

But like everything else in the fire service to each his own...

Stihl use to have a great deal on saws for the fire service. We got a rotary saw and a chain saw, both set up for the fire service, from a Stihl dealer for less than the rotary saw from a fire equipment dealer.
                            we have the exact same setup on our tillers. 3 saws. 2 rotary and one carbide tip chainsaw! all stihl.. ive had nothing but bad experiences with the depth gauge.. Our dept bought a few and they either end up breaking or not cutting enough.. haha
                            Last edited by thomasldixon33; 03-17-2011, 04:39 AM.
                            .....Leather Head N6A

Comment

people....

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...