Leave a comment:

• fireinthesky64
    replied
    scba

Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it

Leave a comment:

• FiremanLyman
    replied
    NFPA 1981: Standard on Open-Circuit Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) for Emergency Services (ed. 2007) specifies the minimum requirements for the design, performance, testing, and certification of new compressed breathing air open-circuit SCBA...

NFPA 1852: Standard on Selection, Care, and Maintenance of Open-Circuit Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) (ed. 2008) specifies minimum requirements for the selection, care, and maintenance of open-circuit SCBA...

I cut/paste/edited the above. Basically 1981 specifies the manufacturer requirements. 1852 is for the departments and those that test/repair SCBA. Both can be read online for free.

Leave a comment:

• FIRE117
    replied
    Scba

Two other "regulatory" entities that affect SCBA's, are the National Fire Protection Association Standards (NFPA) and the US Department of Transportation (DOT).

NFPA standards are used for all firefighter protective clothing, including SCBA. Usually, NFPA standards are not laws, unless adopted by a government entity (state, etc.). Even if a NFPA standard for SCBA is not adopted by a government entity, the fire service relies heavily on these standards for guidance.

DOT standards for SCBA's would involve the air tanks (hydrostatic testing, etc.) for SCBA's.

Leave a comment:

• fireinthesky64
    replied
    thanks for reply. yes osha regulations was probably what I was looking for.

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    Depends on what you mean by procedures.

Federal OSHA has requirements for SCBA use.
    States can "improve" on OSHA at a state level and require more.
    Departments can further require more.

and then there is good old common sense.

Leave a comment:

• fireinthesky64
    started a topic scba legislation?

scba legislation?

Hi I'm an ex firefighter from the UK now living in Florida.

Could someone please tell me if SCBA procedures are governed nationally or if states determine their own procedures. I was just curious.
    Paul

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X