No announcement yet.

The insignificance of "Drain Times"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quick hint before cutting the power to the vehicle- check all the doors to see if they will open normally by using the door latch. On cars with electric door locks and child safety locks on the back doors, cutting the power will make it impossible to open the door with a spreader.
    Without power and with the child safety locks engaged, you cannot open them manually from the inside or use the unlock feature by the driver to open the locks. Locked doors of course cannot be opened from the outside either without force.
    Just a quick check to open the doors manually can save you lots of time later.

Comment

Originally posted by Lifeguard911 View Post
      On cars with electric door locks and child safety locks on the back doors, cutting the power will make it impossible to open the door with a spreader.

I beg to differ here........ A child lock is not going to keep spreaders from opening the door.......
      The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
      We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
      IACOJ

Comment

Just a quick hint before cutting the power to the vehicle- check all the doors to see if they will open normally by using the door latch. On cars with electric door locks and child safety locks on the back doors, cutting the power will make it impossible to open the door with a spreader.
        Without power and with the child safety locks engaged, you cannot open them manually from the inside or use the unlock feature by the driver to open the locks. Locked doors of course cannot be opened from the outside either without force.
        Just a quick check to open the doors manually can save you lots of time later.
        Umm. I'm pretty sure that the status of the door locks is irrelevant during any phase of extrication. Its not like the door welds itself shut when you engage the child locks.
        Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

On cars with electric door locks and child safety locks on the back doors, cutting the power will make it impossible to open the door with a spreader.
          Maybe Lifeguard911 meant to say that it would be impossible to open the door WITHOUT a spreader.
          Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Comment

I'm just going to throw two cents in here. Almost all vehicles have emergency 4-way flashers, turning them on after doing the 360 scene safety survey if possible will give everyone a visual that the vehicle has power. Airbags are here to stay and new versions of occupant safety equipment will make our jobs more difficult as time goes forward. Safety is always a concern but we must still manage the risks involved best we can with training, knowledge and experience. This extrication business sure was less stressful without all of this modern day techno safety geek stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
              Maybe Lifeguard911 meant to say that it would be impossible to open the door WITHOUT a spreader.

Thanks for the correction. That is what I meant. I learned thi from personal experience with my own truck after it sank in a flood (another story)!

"Umm. I'm pretty sure that the status of the door locks is irrelevant during any phase of extrication. Its not like the door welds itself shut when you engage the child locks."
              Last edited by Lifeguard911; 04-30-2007, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ROOFIT View Post
                I'm just going to throw two cents in here. Almost all vehicles have emergency 4-way flashers, turning them on after doing the 360 scene safety survey if possible will give everyone a visual that the vehicle has power.
                This is a good idea when it works, but it isn't something that can be relied on. If you see the flashers, you know the car has power. But you can't assume it doesn't have power if the flashers aren't on. There are a hundred reason the flashers may not work even if the battery is still connected.
                Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Capacitors store electrical energy. The question is how long and I sure have seen a lot of thoughts out there. I've had an electrical engineer tell me a capacitor cannot hold a charge longer than 90 seconds.

I recently dug up and very old strobe light bar from our attic... thing has been there for years and was coated with dust. As we disassembled it to get some needed parts, it shocked the crap out of me. Electrons don't seem to mind hanging around until they have a place to go. So much for drain time.

Our SOP calls for personnel to stay out of deployment zone anytime they are working around a loaded bag. The OMD's have signed off on using rapid extrication technique so our guys are not in the danger zone any longer than they need to be. We don't use equipment designed to stop/delay air bag deployment... NHSTA has issued an advisory against their use and steering wheel rings have no strength anyway. Cutting battery cables prevents the use of such devices as seat position, windows, etc.

Don't trust capacitors which means don't trust loaded airbags. Keep in simple.

JEB
                  John E. Burruss, NREMT-P
                  Heavy-Technical Rescue Instructor
                  Virginia Department of Fire Programs

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader