Airbag deployment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbag deployment

I just finished instructing a vehicle rescue class here in PA. Our curriculim shows airbags deploy due to rapid deceleration. One of the students found an article that stated the airbags deploy due to sudden impact. He also went to a car dealership and asked a mechanic about this and he was told sudden impact. I know with the DERM going to solid state things might change on what causes the airbags to deploy. To me it would be deceleration with two sensors activating. Any comments or opinions ?
    Mark

It really depends on what car you are dealing with, you could both be right.

There are many types of crash sensors, I call them simple sensors and complex sensors.

A simple sensor is like the Electromechanical Gas Dampened Ball and Tube Design (Example: 2002 mustang). It is just a small tube with a switch at one end and a gold plated steel ball at the other, held in place by a small magnet. When the sensor receives a hard enough jolt to knock the ball loose from the magnet, the ball rolls down the tube, hits the switch and closes the circuit. Sending a currant to the control module.
    The Rolamite Design by TRW, and The Spring and Mass Design, are basically the same.
    These are mounted in the front of the car and actual work from impact, but every control module must receive two impulses to confirm the data that we have a true impact, one from the crash sensor and one from the safety sensor. The safety sensor is inside the control module and works off of deceleration.

The complex sensors like the Solid State Piezoelectric Crystal, and Solid State Micro Machined Accelerometer Chip, are inside the control module and are simply computer chips. These work off of deceleration, and like the others they also must have a safety sensor to send a second impulse to deploy the airbag.
    The main difference is the complex sensors measures the severity of the crash. (This is needed to control dual stage systems)
    Last edited by LeeJunkins; 01-19-2007, 03:16 AM.
    http://www.midsouthrescue.org
    Is it time to change our training yet ?

Comment

Mark, we had a mva a few weeks ago where a couple young people decided to straighten out a curve. Their car went off the road and rolled about 8-10 times. The front airbags deployed as well as both side air bags. We took pictures of them as I haven't ever seen a side airbag deploy. Anyways I had you in mind for taking the pics and I'll atempt to get them to you so you can check them out.Take care!

Comment

Lee, Thank You for the information on the technical aspect. I put this thread on to get opinions and also valuable information to pass on to my students. I taught at dday's fire department about 3 months ago and this was small part of their class discussion also.

Dday, thanks for keeping me in mind. I'm sure the pictures you have will fit into my programs.
        Mark

Comment

Mark, Thanks I hope it will help, these things change so fast that I don't believe anyone can keep up with all of it, I know I can't
          I have to change some of the wording in my classes because of this thread.
          I teach that it is impossible for all the airbags to go off in one wreck, but after seeing ddays post I tried it with a model car and I can see how it is possible in that drastic of a roll over.

dday, Any chance of getting a copy of those pictures?
          http://www.midsouthrescue.org
          Is it time to change our training yet ?

Comment

Originally posted by LeeJunkins View Post
            Mark, Thanks I hope it will help, these things change so fast that I don't believe anyone can keep up with all of it, I know I can't
            I have to change some of the wording in my classes because of this thread.
            I teach that it is impossible for all the airbags to go off in one wreck, but after seeing ddays post I tried it with a model car and I can see how it is possible in that drastic of a roll over.

dday, Any chance of getting a copy of those pictures?

Yes. Give me some time to get them ready.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X