Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pugs135
    replied
    Another thing to remember is FDNY doesn't carry any struts, rescue jacks or anything like that on the engines or trucks.

Leave a comment:

• lutan1
    replied
    Originally posted by PGTL33 View Post
    Not to concerned with gloves and eyes, that is their own choice, as much as my concern about the proper stabilization techniques(SP?).

There should be no choice about the use of gloves and eye protection at any MVA

Leave a comment:

• krassphoto
    replied
    Thanks, Lee
    Yes, you're really picking the smallest details apart here. That's what I call a Professionalism!

I checked the Exif Data in the images and here is some timing info:

10:55:27 - accident happened (pic# 027)(the ambulance just luckily happened to be passing by)
    10:59:29 - firemen arrived and started working (pic#031)
    11:07:58 - the lady was completely removed from the SUV (pic#006)

Hope this will be helpful.

Regards,
    Alex.

Leave a comment:

• LeeJunkins
    replied
    Originally posted by krassphoto View Post
    Hello,

I've just registered here to say that I'm glad that my pictures came in handy here and to thank all of you guys, wherever you are, for the work you do.

Best regards,

Alex.
    Brooklyn, NY.
    Hi Alex,
    Thanks for the work you do too.
    Some of the best training in the world is on this forum and as you see we argue back and forth and pick these things apart, and in the end we have some of the best training that can be had anywhere.
    And a lot of it comes from a picture that some one on the side lines took.

Leave a comment:

• krassphoto
    replied
    Hello,

I've just registered here to say that I'm glad that my pictures came in handy here and to thank all of you guys, wherever you are, for the work you do.

Best regards,

Alex.
    Brooklyn, NY.

Leave a comment:

• firefighter1962
    replied
    If you’re not going to stabilize the neck and spine, why not just leave the wood in the truck?

Stay Safe

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    Great stabilization by the infamous FDNY?!
    Originally posted by PGTL33
    just some constructive thoughts
    Yup. And I'll agree, a happy medium between the 3 is good.

Leave a comment:

• PGTL33
    replied
    No one said anything about being perfect, we all make mistakes, just some constructive thoughts on what we see. As for being different ways of doing things (street, book, safe) there is still right and not so right! I agree that experience and "street knowledge" are the best ways to come up with an plan, not soley the book, and as I stated versitility is a must in all operation. Why limit yourself?

Leave a comment:

• Bones42
    replied
    There's the "street" way, the "book" way, and the "safety" way.

Leave a comment:

• emt161
    replied
    Wow, I didn't realize how many perfect departments and firefighters there were out there.

I'm more confused by the volunteer ambulance in NYC than anything.

Leave a comment:

• LeeJunkins
    replied
    This thread got me to looking last night, I seen a video of almost the same scenario in Calf. and one in Fla. and all three were handled in much the same way, which tells me we are all guilty, I know I have been many times, mostly of getting in to much of a hurry, and one vision, get to the patient.

I am not picking these guys apart but using these pictures to pick all of us apart.

In pic #3 we see all three men gathered around an unstablized vehicle that they can’t do a thing with until the rescue arrives instead of stopping the traffic from running through the scene. In pic #22 we can see the woman is probably ok, but this is a long time into the rescue. Why do we not see a rescuer inside holding C-spine or at least supporting some of her weight? (Is she ok or is she in shock and just saying she is?) In pic #14 we can see two step chocks in place, and as mentioned before with the shape and angel of the SUV that was probably pretty stable until you look at pic # 13 with his weight moving around on top and the weight of the door opening and them pushing and pulling on the other side. Is it possible for it to flip over? (Very)!! Then look at pic# 20 (maybe he is praying it don’t) It takes less than two minutes to set two struts. I count at least 18 men on scene and three doing the cutting.
    Who disconnected the battery? Look at pic #44 who stripped the trim to revile the airbag canister?
    There is a lot of unnecessary risk because we all want to be up front and from the other videos and my own experience we are all guilty.

But I still say, That is some pretty cutting.
    Last edited by LeeJunkins; 01-03-2007, 03:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• F52Westside
    replied
    Not trying to start an argument but placing step chocks and shims are the initial stabilization process to expand the foot print of a vehicle on its side and should be expanded on before the extrication process begins. You may be stable initially with chocks but things change during the extrication, that is why we should always be re-evaluating our stabilization and action plan through out the entire incident.
    Also, your initial plan of just flapping a portion of the roof may change due to rescuer access, pt injuries, etc. causing the rescuer to expand on or change their initial access point. This point is now limited if steps chocks are soley used to stabilize. We must have versitility built into all of our rescue operations so we can adapt and over come to the unforseen.

Yes there are many ways to do things, but we must choose the safest, most versitile, and efficient path to maximize our rescue capabilities.

be safe...happy new year!

You are right, that stabilization should be evaluated. Maybe the pictures did not show someone evaluating the chocks that were in place. If the vehicle is stabile and stays stabile then there is no problem.

Leave a comment:

• dday05
    replied
    I'm amazed they can lay their tools down like that, and no one try to take anything.

Leave a comment:

• PGTL33
    replied
    Not trying to start an argument but placing step chocks and shims are the initial stabilization process to expand the foot print of a vehicle on its side and should be expanded on before the extrication process begins. You may be stable initially with chocks but things change during the extrication, that is why we should always be re-evaluating our stabilization and action plan through out the entire incident.
    Also, your initial plan of just flapping a portion of the roof may change due to rescuer access, pt injuries, etc. causing the rescuer to expand on or change their initial access point. This point is now limited if steps chocks are soley used to stabilize. We must have versitility built into all of our rescue operations so we can adapt and over come to the unforseen.

Yes there are many ways to do things, but we must choose the safest, most versitile, and efficient path to maximize our rescue capabilities.

be safe...happy new year!

Leave a comment:

• firefighter1962
    replied
    I’d be more concerned about no C-spine on the patient. Couldn’t anyone gain access through the back window and perform C-spine, or were they concerned about their cribbing job not holding? Finally the guy in the white coat tries after they lay her on the board. Oh ya, C-collar….we don’t need no stinkin’ C-collar. I’m glad that driver wasn’t my mother.

PS…. I wonder if in that huddle the quarterback was going to call a passing or running play?

Stay Safe

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X