No announcement yet.

A Controversial FD Policy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when we respond to an mva, we are in charge not pd! our first priority is scene safety, for ourselves first, then pd, ems and accident victems etc. that car is mine for the time being. i have the right to inspect the car from all sides inside and out. if i find something that is a hazard i must correct it and make it safe. allowing someone to drive a car with a deployed air bag is not safe idon't care what state you are from.

Comment

This is what my departments does in this situation.
      1st we secure the scene meaning park the rigs to protect the scene from oncoming traffic and place cones. (pd directs traffic, fd personel are not trained to direct traffic, theirfore it is a liablity for the department to do so.)
      the pd does not direct traffic on the interstate or other such roads.
      2nd- we provide ems, extrication, confinment of spills, hazard control, etc.
      We do not clean up fluid spills we contain and confine spills. tow drivers or hazmat clean up crews(depending on amount) clean up spills so they can dispose of them properly.
      After the patient have either been transported or signed releases and hazards have been mitigated. We ask the cops if they need any assistance from the fd. Then we leave.

We do not determine if the car is safe to drive that is between the pd and the citizen. our fd is not trained to say this car is safe or not to drive.

once the patients and hazards (that the fd deals with) are delt with and PD needs no assistance we LEAVE. We do not sit on scene until the pd, wreacker, etc. finish what they need to do unless they need or desire us to stay.

The less time my crew SITS on the side of the road the less danger from on coming traffic my crew faces.

Yes we do run MVC on a regular bases. Our county covers 20 miles of a four lane high traffic interstate. I have run 6 so far this shift (7A to 12A so far).

It works for us
      Last edited by nkfiree1; 12-27-2006, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nkfiree1 View Post
        We do not determine if the car is safe to drive that is between the pd and the citizen. our fd is not trained to say this car is safe or not to drive.
        Cheers to that. Even IF you are a licensed mechanic, how can you make any kind of a call on a vehicle that's been in a wreck?!? Even a licensed mechanic cannot make that call without a garage and a hoist etc etc..
        Silence is golden on opinions of safety outside of your expertise. Tell them you advise strongly against driving it without being checked at a garage. Do not reconnect the battery, do not remove the airbag. Walk away.
        Regards from the rock,
        Gord
        Nobody ever called the fire department for doing something smart.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X