Info on Volovo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on Volovo

I am seeking Information on a safety feature on the Volvo S-70 series. On last shift we responded to a MVC, Hit & Run, T-Bone. The Car that was struck was a 2005 Volvo S-70 sedan, on the Drivers side "B" post, with side impact Air Bags deployed. The Vehicle was stable, with little interior intrusion to the driver compartment. We began to intiate extracation safety SOPs, ( Set parking brake, ignition off, stablize, ect.) When we got to opening the hood to cut the battery cables, using the hood latch, the hood would not open.
    The center hood latch was free, and initially we thought the hood was stuck due to damage. Upon furhter inspection we noticed 2 seperate latches on either side of the hood above the Headlights. The passenger side was released, but Drivers side was not. These appeared to resemble "Nader" type latches. Needless to say prying didnt give us the access we needed. Does anyone have any info on these? And if so does anyone know a good way to overcome this safety feature? I would like to get detailed drawings so I could pass them on to our Training Officer so our whole department is up on this. Any help would be awesome........ Thanks Allen
    Fight Fire Aggressively,But Provide for SAFTEY First!!!!!!

I went to the Volvo shop this morning and looked it over, The hood has two latches as you said they are a nator type latch, one on each side over the head lights. the latches are like a spring loaded hook, there is a steel loop shaped bracket mounted on each side of the hood, as they close into the latch the hood locks over them. Both latches are operated by one cable the release handle in mounted in the lift A pillar. There is also a center latch with a spring to pop the hood up, this one is simply a safety latch, it is like most old latches just push up on it to release.
    Being a new car I could not tear into it, but I looked at two things we can try, the loops on the hood have about an inch and a half lip in front of them, we may be able to bend it up with a haligen bar and cut the loops, also by removing the grille there is a plastic panel above it that we can brake out and get to the cables.
    I got some good video of all of it I will try to get it edited and on here this week.
    http://www.midsouthrescue.org
    Is it time to change our training yet ?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
    Working...