fobs and extrication SOP's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fobs and extrication SOP's

On my business travels I came across a client with a new Toyota Hybrid(I believe a Camry), it was nice and I crawled through it looking at connections and shutoffs. But what he told me next brings a new focus on accident Safety. The fob , a device that uses an electric pulse to allow a car to be started or unlocked without keys. These cars do not even have keys or key holes.

This individual just leaves them in his pocket and switches a lever in his car to start it. I talked with one individual whom leaves the fob on is visor in a locked car so he can remote start the car.( In Wisconsin this is a bonus in winter to warm up your car without having to walk outside at -20F).

Lets get to the questions this begs in extrication and car safety. Our current practice is to make sure we are in park and put the keys up on the dashboard. (Tow truck operators would like them later.)

Fast forward to a rescue...... Car is in park no keys during initial inner circle someone hits the shift and the car goes. (I realize the car is cribbed and all the good stuff we do ahead of time) It is no longer acceptable to find the keys but the fobs and remove them from the scene. What I have seen is that they have to be in the car to start it. However in the case of my friend who puts is in the visor to remote start it we now have an unknown hazard. Have any departments put an SOP in place for the fob?

Disconnect 12 volt battery...FOB start problem eliminated. From what I am aware, the keyless system still operates off the 12v battery and not the high voltage system.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Point well taken but until the task is completed this is a potentially hazardous situation. It does bring to light the importance of getting the battery off as quick as possible.

Comment

One of our associates here recently did some online training and brought up this very point. His suggestion was to remove the keys and secure then inside an apparatus at the scene. I think you would want to do some research to find out exactly how far the "fob" has to be away from the car before it is no longer active. As I understand, these things can lock and unlock the doors automatically as you depart and approach the car, so you will want to be sure that all doors that are functional are opened before you secure the keys.
        Richard Nester
        Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

Prius, 16 feet away from vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by firedog7
            Prius, 16 feet away from vehicle
            I know someone would have that information here! I will file that way in the back of my pea brain for future reference!
            Richard Nester
            Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

Safe distance that I have found listed is 50 feet for most fobs.

Comment

Fob

Yo! Does anyone know what FOB stands for?

Seems to me the automakers are trying to make pit crews out of us, come out with floor jacks running and lift all the tires up so if it takes off only the wheels spinning will kill us!

burn
                Burn<br />LT/EMT/Inst />Central Mat-Su FD<br />Wasilla Alaska

Comment

Key FOB's defined

I found no definitions but the word FOB is a stolen acronym for Free on Board a trade term. May also defined as a device hanging from a chain.
                  Thus a key (Chain) FOB. Although the acronyms are interesting the danger still exists no matter what they are called.

Comment

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                    (Redirected from Fob)
                    Jump to: navigation, search
                    A key fob is a medallion used to identify a key ring or used as a starting place on a ring, frequently given as an advertising item. A watch fob is a medallion or ornament attached by leather strap or chain to a pocket watch to assist in locating and removing the watch from a pocket in clothing. Some were originally coded or numbered to assist in return to the owner. The term is also used when referring to electronic security key devices.

Fob may also be a transitive verb meaning to deceive or cheat someone out of something they would want to do or materially wish for.

AS IN STEALING YOUR CAR.

It does not stand for anything it is an actual word in the dictionary
                    Last edited by LeeJunkins; 10-04-2006, 05:52 PM.
                    http://www.midsouthrescue.org
                    Is it time to change our training yet ?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...