CO2 and airbags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO2 and airbags

The new craze in 4Wd and off roading is the use of carbon dioxide cylindes to air up your tires or run air tools at the end of the day. From everything I have read, co2 has many many times the energy of compressed air - 5-10 times.

Any thoughts on if it would be harmful to use with airbags?

A 5 lb cylinder is very small, and would do the work of probably 5 scba cylinders.

Thanks.

I wouldn't fill the airbags with anything other than air before checking with the manufacturer.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

It is not the latest craze, it's been around at least 10 years but I would agree with checking with the manufacturer. However I predict that it will be no problem, since it is a relatively inert gas and a substantial percentage of normal air anyway. Problems that might be encountered are that drawing it off too fast might cause the cylinder to ice up meaning no more pressure to work with until temperatures stablize somewhat, and also if a cylinder was run on its side or upside down, liquid could enter the system which can freeze valves in the system and also as it boils off increases pressure beyond what you had set it at which might cause a bag to unexpectedly lift beyond where you wanted it, or overpressure something.

Birken

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X