Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Hand protection for extrication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand protection for extrication

Does anyone know of a peosha/osha standard for hand protection for extrication? Our department still mandates that we use NFPA compliant structural firefighting gloves extrications.

gloves

Our department uses Ringer extrication gloves. They have great dexterity, and are very comfortable. They are only about $40.

Comment

As of yet, I don't think there is a NFPA standard about extrication gloves.

Comment

We would like to be able to use ringers or leather work gloves, but until we can find something in osha/peosha or nfpa that says it's ok, our chiefs will not let us.

Comment

I have found that leather work gloves work best because they are very inexpensive compared to ringers type gloves and they’re not hard to part with when they become soiled with fluids such as blood. My departments SOP’s state that all rescuers at the scene of an extrication wear latex or nitrile gloves underneath their work or extrication gloves, even if they are not providing direct patient care . I too am unaware of any NFPA standards pertaining to extrication gloves.

Originally posted by apwjjp
          Our department still mandates that we use NFPA compliant structural firefighting gloves extrications.
          Just wondering if you throw away your structural gloves if they become soiled with blood or other fluids?

I personally would hate wearing structural gloves during rescue ops. for many reasons, the main being the fact that they would get hydraulic fluid all over them and become very slippery and oily. In my opinion thats more unsafe that not using extrication or leather gloves because they aren't sanctioned by the NFPA.

Comment

The local glove manufacturer here tells me that NFPA is very close to coming out with an extrication glove standard. Perhaps Mr. Moore has some insight on that?

Have you looked into the Chiba Sport "Flame Fighter" glove? I believe this is the only place in the USA that is selling them:

http://www.anclotefire.com/extricationgloves.htm

I have three pairs. One in my fire gear, one with my motorsports rescue gear and a spare set I keep at home. They are a little heavier than your traditional "extrication" glove, but they are less bulky than structural firefighting gloves. They meet NFPA 1971 standard and they also offer some protection from blood borne pathogens.

I have never been a fan of extrication gloves because they offer no fire protection properties. While the chances of a flash fire happening during an extrication should be small, I prefer not to have a nylon glove melted on my hand for that one-in-a-million times that it happens.
            Last edited by MetalMedic; 04-09-2006, 01:13 AM.
            Richard Nester
            Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

That is a real nice looking set of gloves. They would save a lot of money when it comes to buying gloves I would think. How much do they cost ruffly,the website does not say.
              Stay Safe and live long

Comment

Originally posted by sfdtim11
                That is a real nice looking set of gloves. They would save a lot of money when it comes to buying gloves I would think. How much do they cost ruffly,the website does not say.
                I believe the last set I bought were $106.00... which at first seems like a lot until you consider how much you would spend on a good pair of structure gloves and a good set of extrication gloves. Then consider the added convenience of putting on just one glove and you are good to go for anything and the price sounds much more reasonable.
                Richard Nester
                Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

We DO NOT support the use of extrication gloves.Too many personnel were being injured when using them.Leather work gloves or dept issued structural gloves.Plus as Medic pointed out,no fire resistance. T.C.

Comment

We are not issued extrication gloves by our dept. but many of us have purchased them on our own. They are wonderful! So much better than structural FF gloves.

Regardless of what type of gloves you wear, ALWAYS wear a pair of exam gloves under them. Never, ever trust the integrity of the outer gloves barrier.

If the gloves you use for extrication become contaminated, they can be de-conned in a gear washer. If you use dedicated firefighting gloves or Flame Fighters for extrication, you'd better have a back-up pair of ff gloves in case the first pair becomes contaminated...You don't want to have to wear bloody gloves on your next call.

On a side note, I am not as concerned as some are with regards to the amount of thermal resistance of extrication gloves in a fire situation.

We do not wear SCBA during extrications. If there is a flash fire, my face, head and respiratory tract will be my primary concerns.
                    We ALWAYS have a charged hose-line that is continually manned and at the ready throughout the entire extrication for protection of the FFs and victims from fire.

If the vehicle is reported involved (or believed to be involved) in fire , we will be in full SCBA and firefighting gloves upon our arrival. We will still have exam gloves underneath though, so that patient care/extrication can begin ASAP.

Kevin
                    Last edited by fireman4949; 04-10-2006, 10:17 AM.
                    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
                    IAFF Local 2339
                    K of C 4th Degree
                    "LEATHER FOREVER"
                    Member I.A.C.O.J.
                    http://www.tfdfire.com/
                    "Fir na tine"

Comment

Thermal concerns of extrication gloves are not limited to fire. A/C lines,heater hoses,hot engine parts,and sharp metal edges head my list of why we do not endorse their use.A simple leather work glove has proven to be better protection for our members than any current offering in the extrication glove line.We have documented injuries in ALL of the above areas with members wearing the extrication glove.If your agency chooses to allow their use,that's fine.Having worn both,I prefer the work glove both for price and protection.But extrication gloves are improving with every issue so I guess I'll just wait and see. T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by fireman4949
                        If the gloves you use for extrication become contaminated, they can be de-conned in a gear washer. If you use dedicated firefighting gloves or Flame Fighters for extrication, you'd better have a back-up pair of ff gloves in case the first pair becomes contaminated...You don't want to have to wear bloody gloves on your next call.
                        The Chiba Sport Flame Fighter gloves can be washed just like your turn-out gear can be washed. There is no leather in them, so they don't get stiff or shrink. I have washed mine a couple times in our extractor washer and they come out looking like brand new.
                        Richard Nester
                        Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Comment

I purchased a pair of XL gloves after trying on a pair at the Fire Rescue International in Dallas last year. I loved the way the felt both operating hose lines and extrications. Unfortunately I now have nothing good to say about my gloves. I had these gloves for only 5 months and used them on 2 extrications and a couple of training exercises and they started to fall apart. Yes, while performing simple hose evolutions, both my right and left glove came apart at the thumb. This is when it gets even better! I contacted Chiba Sports and advised them of the problem. They advised that they would exchange them out with a new pair and I should have a new pair no more than 2 weeks. Well 1 month went by and I contacted Chiba, they claimed that they were all out of stock and they were waiting for their shipment. Something about customs, payment, shipping, etc... was holding there shipment up. THAT’S RIGHT!! These gloves are made outside of the great USA. Anyway, another month goes by and still… no gloves. It is now 2 months and my gloves, just made it here from who knows where. I owe it to my brother and sister firefighters to stay away from these gloves, because there product and customer service is the worst I have dealt with. Yes they are comfortable, but when used, not reliable. I have attached photos of the gloves falling apart. Save your money and go with another product!!!

Comment

Protech 8's!!! I have extrication gloves that are collecting dust since I got my Protech's. Fully NFPA compliant for structural work with the dexterity of a regular work glove and $50 less than the Chiba's. IllinoisFireStore.com

Comment

Pro Techs #1

I've got 2 pairs of Pro-Tech 8...They are awesome Ive used them in 4 working fires .(REALLY WORKING) I felt no heat in my hands at all. Ive also used them at Extircations and they work awesome aswell. The dexterity is amazing in this glove. The best part is they are NFPA...
                              However I still have Ringers as my main Extrication glove.. For those stating they are ripping up their gloves what on earth are you doing with them. Extrication is 90% tool work.. Your hands are on the tools. How are you wrecking them? So your gloves dont fall apart dont wash in an Top load Washer. and let hang dry never put in the dryer

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90