School bus question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School bus question

Short question. Does the black stripes that go around a school bus have any significants?
    IACOJ - Senior Jake

Yes, the 'black stripes' you are referring to are known as rub rails, and are 16 ga. steel. Typically they are placed at shoulder level, seat level, and floor level. Others may be added as well. Some mfg. alter their protective measures by using a wider corrugated rub rail as opposed to the singular pieces.
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

Comment

They also tend to be placed on strong points on the bus. Especially the one at floor level which is the strongest point on the bus. It is a decent landmark for you when you need to cut into a bus to give you some idea as to where you will have the most difficulty in gaining access.
      Richard Nester
      Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

Hmm, you learn something new every day. I was going to say "Yea, it accents the yellow paint job."
        Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

Rub rails

Actually the black stripes are not the rub rails on all busses. The black stripe is only a decorative paint job in some areas. The rub rails, usually 2 or 3 on the side of a bus, are the roundish looking metal pieces that run the length of the bus. Some Manufactures do paint their rub rails black though. Also point of interest, the area in-between the bottom 2 rub rails has an extra piece of metal called a crash plate. This could cause a little bit of difficulty when trying to cut.

Comment

The 'collision beam' that is placed between the bottom of the seat and floor is 14 ga. steel.
            BIG RIG RESCUE

Comment

Wow thats good to know, hopefully wont be cutting any school busses anytime soon though, MCI's are no fun.

Comment

more good info .............I had no idea ........
                IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

And theres LOTS more regarding school buses!
                  BIG RIG RESCUE

Comment

A few fine points about school bus rubrails. All rubrails are added on 'after' the entire sidewall is assembled. If you have to breach through a sidewall of a school bus, one of your two tactics is to disassemble the wall layer by layer; item by item. The other option is to work through all materials at one time; cutting with a sawing tool or ripping it all apart with a spreading-type tool. If you choose the first method and are 'disecting' the wall item by item, realize that the rub rail is the first thing to come off.

Also, at least one rubrail will curve around the rear corner of the school bus. This helps reinforce the rear during rearend collisions. If you're working what I call a rear 'tailight panel' removal assignment, cut the rubrail right at the curve to weaken it or it will fight you every step of the way.
                    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
                    www.universityofextrication.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...