New saw for rescue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New saw for rescue?

A couple of weeks ago, our department had a School Bus Rescue drill. A member brought a new toy, a metal cutting saw that looks like a skill saw. I was a little sceptical of it. However, it tore the bus up quicker than any thing I have ever seen, including a spark producing K12 saw. The saw produced no sparks from the carbide metal cutting blade.

We did a 3 side panel cut to remove a 8 foot section of the bus in less than 3 minutes! Chisels and reciprocating saws could not come close.

Now I know that the metal was nice and flat and undamaged, but even to cut through posts and roofs, this thing may just change the way we look at opening up a bus or other large vehicle.

The depth of cut was 2.5" and made it through all parts of the panels including the rub rails.

I will try and attach a few pictures but firehouse.com really restricts the size and quality.

I have a few mpeg video files of the saw in action and the side removal that I can e-mail to anyone interested as well as a lot of photos. File is 10mb in size so make sure you have a server/mailbox that can accept it.

[email protected]

Daniel Furseth
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DFurseth; 11-13-2004, 02:08 PM.
    Daniel Furseth
    DeForest (WI)
    Safe And Fast Extrication, Inc.
    www.besafeinc.org

"Extrication is like jazz. Improvisation based on fundamentals"

Another view
    Attached Files
    Daniel Furseth
    DeForest (WI)
    www.besafeinc.org

Comment

Attached Files
      Daniel Furseth
      DeForest (WI)
      www.besafeinc.org

Comment

View of the panel cut through a rib. No burrs.
        Attached Files
        Daniel Furseth
        DeForest (WI)
        www.besafeinc.org

Comment

DAMN !!!!!
          IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
          Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
          ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
          RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
          LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
          I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
          "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
          http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

I like the looks of this tool, would really like to try one myself. Let us know if you can find a brand of the saw.

Comment

Can you send me a copy of the movie to THIS EMAIL ADDRESS From the pics it looks pretty good.......
              The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
              We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
              IACOJ

Comment

Doesn't DeWalt make a cordless circular saw? If so, wouldn't finding the proper blade for the saw be the trick here? Did you do all of these cuts with just one blade? Did you have to cool the blade any during use?
                Richard Nester
                Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

man thats just wow. about a month ago, we had a school bus exercation and tryed various tools to see what worked the best. we didnt even think to try that. what kind of blade were you using. everything we tryed didnt have near the results that you had.
                  Your a daisy if you do.

Comment

This saw was corded. The blade was rated for 80 feet of cut through 3/8" mild steel stock. I am waiting for more info and will post it when I get it.

Milwaukee has a cordless version as well. I tried it on a car and it made short work of the posts and any roof/panel cuts. The neatest thing was to use it to access the battery or hood area. I made an angled cut from the fender to the front/center of the hood in one quick cut and then folded the metal out of the way. Takes less than 45 seconds.
                    Attached Files
                    Daniel Furseth
                    DeForest (WI)
                    www.besafeinc.org

Comment

Attached Files
                      Daniel Furseth
                      DeForest (WI)
                      www.besafeinc.org

Comment

Heat never became I problem that I could tell. The only hazard were metal shavings from the blade. Safety glasses are MANDATORY. Simular to sawdust from a wood blade.

just like any tool, it took a little practice to find the right speed to move the saw without binding the blade. Once one used it for a bit, you can tell how the saw was doing and when to slow down your cut and let the blade catch up and not bind.

The edges of the cuts though are pretty smooth, although still needing protection afterwards, they are not serrated like a sawzall cut.

The video I took really shows the effectivness. E-mail me and I'll send it off to you. [email protected]
                        Daniel Furseth
                        DeForest (WI)
                        www.besafeinc.org

Comment

http://www.medfordtools.com/evolution/index.html

Never got to play with one, but it looks like a good addition

Comment

I've been curious about these... nice to hear some stories of their use in extrication. Very interesting.
                            God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
                            Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
                            Click this to search FH Forums!

Comment

More photos if interested

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/danfurseth/my_photos
                              Daniel Furseth
                              DeForest (WI)
                              www.besafeinc.org

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X