Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• holmatro's guide to vehicle safety

Hey brothers,

I read the article in the november 2001 issue of Firehouse, on "Electrical Systems (part 4) Shutdown procedures" by Mr. Moore. I love the auto extrication articles that Mr. Moore writes, but have some concerns about this article. <br /> I recently went to a training symposium where two Holmatro representitives put on a extrication class. They did a good job with the class informing us of the many dangers, with airbags, struts, etc... They showed us the need to have a resource that would allow first responders to have the ability to find out where airbags, batteries, control modules, and struts are located, on each individual car that they/we are working on. The Holmatro Reps answer was "The Rescuer's Guide to Vehicle Safety Systems". <br /> In my opinion the book does contain the info needed at scene, such as battery placements, airbag and control module loctions, and if I remember right where struts are located on every type of vehicle you can imagine. An all around good book. <br /> However it took the sales rep a good 8 minutes to find the needed info about a car we were working on. The sales rep. Now take your average Firefighter or officer in the field. How long would it take he/she? It takes the auto extrication God Ronald Moore 60 seconds, but he's the man. <br /> The book is not made tough enough for field use in my opinion either. It is a soft binded book. Plus the user needs to purchase a seperate revision every year. I think it should be in binder form, with laminated pages. Plus there needs to be a faster way to find this information. There needs to be a universal method that all car manufactuers use to allow us as rescuers and patrons who purchase they're vehicles to be safer in the event of an accident. But what do I know????<br /> <br /> Here's an idea. Put a "Bar code" on cars, and give us a device to scan them and find out everything we need to know about the vehicle.

Vehicles are changing, and there are so many new dangers to keep up with. It used to only be a concern on the "Fancy" cars, not any more.

I just worry about my brothers.....

God Bless, and stay safe... -Bull.

Bull, who's going to "give" you the scanner? GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota? As a vehicle sales rep and air bag trainer I can tell you that that idea wouldn't work any more than the Holmatro book.<br />People are complaining enough about the price of cars due to the safety features the government regulates we have so guess who would end up paying for something like this? (You and me).<br />I posted on either this board or another forum that the Holmatro book is a good idea but it's too expensive and takes too long to look up the info. Unless you have a lap top and can download the data it's the best thing out there right now.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Comment

Hey bull, Great minds must think alike. About a year or more ago on here there was major discussion about Ron's Vehicle ID system he was gathering input for. I suggested the bar code idea. As far as the cost of the scanners I'd be will to bet its the color tv theroy. 15 years ago color tvs were a thousand bucks, now walmart has 36 inchers for under 300. As demand for toys increase the cost comes down. I even had the idea to bar code cars so your fuel card only fills your car. How many times do you think some companys fuel went into a private vehicle? The UPS guy has a clipboard scanner, even the inventory guy in a convience story uses one. sounds like the way to go for me. I have seen the Holmatro book and it is EXCELLANT, but bad weather, poor light conditions, training issues, and not being able to identify that twisted up chunk of metal upside down in a ditch are a few of the drawbacks that come to my mind. the scanner and several bar code stickers at various locations on the car would remove those problems. If we can buy AED's, themal imagers, scba, and all the other tools that we need, I'm sure we can find a couple hundred bucks for a scanner.

Zmag

Comment

I agree that the holmatro book is the best thing out right now.....but there is room for a whole lot of improvement. Thanks for the reply ZMAG, I don't feel like I'm crazy now. Have a happy holidays all.... -Bull

Comment

ZMAG; don't forget that the reason prices have come down on consumer "toys" is that they are not made for firefighters. You know that anything we need gets a premium added to it because the manufacturers know we will buy it regardless of the price.

(Is a ladder truck really worth $500,000? Bell Tel doesn't pay that much for their trucks.)
          Steve Dragon
          FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
          Volunteers are never "off duty".
          http://www.bufd7.org

Comment

It is good to have resources to deal with the unexpectant, although how many ?<br />How about V.S.D.S emblems or(mandatory shut down/cut off switches). That would be easier for all of us. Hear come the A.F.V. and the hybrids.

Comment

The new cars already have bar codes incorporated on the VIN tag. The problem is: where are you going to put them so they can be accessed? Then you are going to have to have a standard passed that all the manufacturers will adhere to. I just cant wait till 2004 when the electrical systems go to 48 volts and then we will have electric brakes, electric fans, electric steering and 110 volt outlets in the car.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X