Amkus Speedway cutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amkus Speedway cutter

Is there anyone out there using the Amkus Speedway cutters? I was wanting to get some opinions on this for our department. The blades look like they could shear through anything. Any one with some hands on?

Our dept. has used the Speedway cutter for about 2 yrs. We like the reach of the long cutter snout, but there are some shortcomings. The blades tend to twist if we're out on the end of the blades making a cut. If we need to cut something really strong, we might not have enough room to get the back part of the blade around it. The blades will cut A&B and most C posts in a single swipe. They're also nice for cutting seat tracks. tlfire2

Comment

I actually got to use the Amkus speedway cutter today in training. Being a member of a medium sized town and volunteer fire dept. i jump at the chance at any type of vehicle extrication training. Anyways, I am a 19 year old kid, so, i am not going to say that i have a whole lot of experiance with fire rescue. The speedway cutters can be very nice, but as the previous post states, they have limitations. Our instructors at our training informed us that you could only cut single layer, thin metal, much like the roof of a car or van. They work almost like a can opener. I would definetly recommend them, because they are a nice tool, but like all tools they have limitations.

Comment

I don't know who told you that they can only cut thin metal, but it probably was not a dealer, we were one of the first departments to use the speedway and we still use it. I have cut posts and hinges with it. As far as the blades binding, any tool will do that if you overdo it. 99% of tool problems are operator error. My opinion is that the speedway cutters are a good product, they do have limitations but if you train and know those you can avoid problems. All tools have limitations.
        THE ABOVE REFLECTS MY OPINIONS AND IN NO WAY REFLECTS THOSE OF MY DEPARTMENT.

Comment

The person who trained me on the speedway cutter was our dept. extrication trainer. a.k.a extrication guru. I agree with you that you can cut things thicker than thin metal, but lets face it, i am not about to tell a guy on our dept. who has twenty years of service over me, how to run those things, i have just learned to use the smile and nod method. I agree with you on operator error and tool limitations 100% percent.

Comment

They're great.

One thing to keep in mind with these cutters is that the outer cutting surface is not intended to cut hardened metals. If you want to do this, make sure you use the inner cutting surface. This is directly from Amkus.

Like RES14CUE said, we use ours to cut everything... just be careful to use the right part of the tool when working with hardened metals.
            God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
            Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
            Click this to search FH Forums!

Comment

Excellant, thank you guys for responding. Svfman, I've been there too. Our trainer hasn't been to a extrication school in a few years and is still kinda old school. I would try to put my idea in a question. Like, what would happen if you did this? Heh heh, it didn't work all of the time though.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X