Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smokeyben1
    replied
    Our department has been using Holmatro for as long as I have been a firie (17yrs) and I have been involved in rescue for most of that time especially the last 11 years and am a diehard fan of the gear. Any problems I have seen have been as a result of user error or third party interferrence. Stay Safe.

Leave a comment:

• FFJRE32
    replied
    My deptment has Holmatro tools and we all love them there are light and love the hand controls too you can do everything in one motion we also upgrade to there 35lb power units so one guy can take the tool to the vechile and that frees up one person for an extra set of hands.

Leave a comment:

• Chaplain41
    replied
    Hey Donuts, I've been over to Pittsburgh and like the area alot. I remember your loss from several years ago too. I'm originally from Marietta Ohio and houses are constructed into hillsides just like in Steeler town. When I read the account of the tragic loss, I could really picture how it all came about. Be careful!
    Hi Richard, thanks for understanding and I agree with you. I'm still trying to get up your way. I've started some more training and it's got my time fairly used up but that's alright. the more we know the better chance of doing our upmost and getting out ourselves. By the way, I just made 1st Loo!
    Be safe my friend! Billy

Leave a comment:

• donuts
    replied
    We have been using Holmatro for a while also. I have used Hurst before and found them to be very heavy and bulky. The holmatro is much eisier to handle, and we have had no problems that I know of yet. I'm not sure of the model numbers, but we are using spreaders, o- cutters, a small and a mid sized ram, and a duo- pump. the spreaders and cutters are preconnected to the pump with 50' of line each. The pump is also moveable with a 75' extension cord.

Leave a comment:

• Rescue 101
    replied
    Thanks JB that's info I can use to make valid comparisons.I understand your feelings after side by side tests,but consider this.NO ONE around me uses Hurst.That doesn't make Hurst a bad tool but three towns around me use Holmatro.You comment"I don't care what people around me use".Guess what, I do!I can go into any one of those towns and amazing stuff happens;All the tools are compatible,the pumps,hoses,oil, controls.As you probably know(I know you do),Hurst has their own oil,not compatible with anybody elses tool, again not a bad thing but wouldn't you be more at ease if you knew the towns you MA'd with also had Hurst?Redundency at life saving events is not a bad thing.As others have pointed out,any tool beats what I carry in mt PV.At any incident I've ever been to it wasn't the tool that made or lost time,it was the operator.If you're great with Hurst by all means it should be your tool of choice.I've probably got a few here who would give you a good go with other brands.But after all,isn't that why we have CHOICE?If I get near some Hurst stuff with the #s you gave me I'd love to give it a go.Now where's my sawsall? T.C,

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: Rescue 101 ]

Leave a comment:

• MetalMedic
    replied
    Originally posted by Chaplain 41:
    <STRONG>
    That being said, if any squabbles begin over personal opinions, I want the Web Team to remove this post.</STRONG>

Aww come on Bill... whenever someone askes a question about a certain brand of hydraulic tool in this forum, it always gets to the "my tool is better than your tool" argument. I think we need these squabbles just to show each other how much we love on another!

Seriously though, I know how you feel since it has happened to me many times. I have found that the best way to keep the tempers cool is to preface my postings with my usual comment. No matter what brand of rescue tools you have at hand, they will ALL do the job they were designed to do when they are in the hands of a competent operator who knows the limitations and the strengths of the tool that they are using.

Leave a comment:

• Chaplain 41
    replied
    I didn't create this topic to compare one brand of rescue tools to another. I'm capable of using what we have and repeat that I'm thankful we have "tools" period to cut people out and increase their chances of survival. We happen to like this particular brand handled the job and the ease of handling. I was simply curious to know other users of this brand and to enjoy the forum fellowship.
    That being said, if any squabbles begin over personal opinions, I want the Web Team to remove this post.

Leave a comment:

• JJBaganz
    replied
    Rescue 101

FYI...Holmatro 2035 Pump and PPU, 3150 Combo, 3260 spreader,3020 cutter vs. HURST ML-2H, ML-l6S Maverick, JL-32B spreader, ML-40 cutter.

I will never take the "everyone around me uses/has *****" as a good answer. We tried the tools side by side to get an answer, not asked a guy who may have some bias. Im am glad you like your Holmatro, but the residents I serve are glad I have a Hurst.

JBFire

Leave a comment:

• asaffell
    replied
    I've been around Holmatro for 15 yrs. I've used the Hurst tool (heavy/bulky) during this time also. Holmatro all the way (lighter, more manuverable, 1 person to work it).
    The Truck Company I'm on now has a new Holmatro on it. When we first got it & I tried leaving the Combo tips on it. I found that after 3 different extrication calls the Combo tips did more tearing (while trying to spread). I now try & keep the spreader tips on it. We also have the chain tips & have a med size RAM for it. I prefer Holmatro.
    We also have a few of the Power Hawks. I'm not impressed with this electical thing.

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: asaffell ]

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: asaffell ]

Leave a comment:

• Rescue 101
    replied
    Which model Holmatro against which model Hurst?In comparing power and speed these are issues.My one ton Tow truck is lighter and faster but if you want power you take the Wheeler.Slower but lifts virtually anything.Nobody around me uses Hurst but FACTUAL information is always valuable,But it's nice to know what model against what model/series as it is part of your need to know and provides valuable information to the rest of us.T.C.

Leave a comment:

• loader
    replied
    Having just completed a vehicle extrication course with firemanjim.I can only reinforce his comments about the Holmatro rescue equipment(and its not because hes my boss!).
    Its lighter,faster and as we had the opertunity to use alongside the Hurst gear we have been using were able to see the difference.
    Graeme Quensell
    Auckland New Zealand

Leave a comment:

• JJBaganz
    replied
    On Saturday, I was able to play with the Holmatro AND Hurst side by side. I would have to agree that the Holmatro IS lacking power and speed when placed against the Hurst. (Same Car, Same Cut) Even after looking at the specs, I would never have thought it to be true. We also tried the PPU (Holmatro) for S &G's and found that to be very light, but also VERY WEAK. After the side by side eval, we chose Hurst! Sorry Holmatro fans!!! Both will do the job, but one does it faster and with less effort.

JJ Baganz
    FF/Paramedic

Leave a comment:

• lutan
    replied
    We've been running Holmatro since the 1000 series tools adn absolutley LOVE them!

We've recently upgraded to 3000 series cutters, spreaders and rams with 30 metre hose reels.

Other than normal wear and tear problems/repairs, we can't fault them.

Leave a comment:

• Chaplain41
    replied
    Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. It's great to hear from you and as far away as Ireland. HBO is showing "Band of Brothers", I believe worldwide, we are a band of brothers and bound by a common thread.
    Just so you all know, I'm not employed by or am i receiving any compensation for my endorsement of these fine tools. I know i speak for the rest of you all to. I know when it comes to taking off a roof to extricate teenagers hit by a drunk driver for instance, I thank God that we have the tools and the know how to package and remove them quickly.

God Bless Brothers, be safe!

Leave a comment:

• backtruck
    replied
    I have been using Holmatro Rescue Tools for about 10 years now. Through hands on training and research, I have found little comparison with the other tool manufactures. At the Ohio Fire School at BGSU a few years ago we used Genesis tools and all of us were very disapointed in them. Rumor has it they left last year when Holmatro was there with there tools. The best thing to do is get your hands on the tools and you will not be disapointed in the least. Holmatro is UL LISTED ,not certified, since 1994 and was the first to be NFPA 1936. Have you ever used anything in your fire house that is not third party tested? 10,000 psi systems make for lighter tools with more power and the statements about a 10,000 psi system being unsafe is total false. ANY hydraulic equipment is required to have a safety ratio. Don't think for a minute that 5000 psi won't cause any damage if you have a major tool failure. Check the web site for all the info. www.holmatro-usa.com

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X