TNT Rescue Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TNT Rescue Tools

I need some information on TNT Hydraulic Rescue Tools. At a vehicle rescue class I taught a few weeks ago, one of the students questioned me on spreading power of hydraulic tools. He told me that literature he saw on TNT tools stated that the arms were rated separately on their spreading force. I checked on it and found this to be true. The information states that the spreader has a spreading force of over 16,000psi per arm. So do you add the arms together to get the total ? Can I buy just one arm and push it against the car (A Joke) ? Or is the total force just over 16,000 psi ? If its adding the two together why not just give the total in their literature. Thanks

The published literature from TNT is VERY misleading. The way it is written, it appears that you would double the spreading force per arm to get a total spreading force for the tool. 16,000lbs per arm x two arms would equal 32,000 lbs apreading force. that is quite frankly BULLSH T. When it says 16,000lbs per arm what it really means is 16,000lbs TOTAL for the whole tool. Also check out the spreading distance of the tool and the claim that "all tools are perfectly balanced" if you put longer arms on the EXACT same body---- it cant be balanced

Comment

Spreading force is an interesting propoganda tool for tool manufacturers. As G-1 points out, 16,000 pounds is the force of the tool. If you think about the mechanics of the tool, there is one hydraulic cylinder that is moving the spreader arms, so there can only be one force for both arms.

The other thing to be weary of is where they measure the force from on the spreader arms. The force at the tips is where you compare apples to apples. If you read literature on most tools, you will notice that the force increases considerably the further toward the pivot point the measurement is taken.
      Richard Nester
      Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X