Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality Extrication Gloves

Hello,
    I would like to know if there is anyone out there using Extrication/Rescue Gloves that are been widley advertised in the fire and rescue magazines and market. Ther are alot of new gloves popping up everyday, but it seems that the more I see a new style glove come out the cheaper the gloves get. Why are people using these cheap glove? Is it price, is a name? I don't know. Can someone help me figure this out?

Simple leather work gloves that can be picked up at any farm supply store have worked just fine for me. They're much cheaper than "extrication gloves" and work just as well.
    Captain 203
    FF/EMT-CT

Comment

Thanks for for the reply. I understand that cheap leahter work gloves are what you are used to using and they seem work fine, but professional fire fighers and rescue workers are using top quality safety apparell now why not hand protection? All I have heard is how poorly firefighting gloves and your cheap leahter gloves fit. Gloves are to be at their best. For grip, hand and tool control, and being able to leave the gloves on the hand at all times. If I can make a firefighters job easier in regards to hand protection, I am here to help in any way I can. Be safe out there.
      NYFD FOR EVER.

Comment

MechanixMan,,, are you part of the Mechanix Company? If so, I have a question for you:

I now own a pair of M16 Gloves and Extrication Gloves. The M16 are made from Nomex so they are fire rated. The Extrication Gloves are made from Kevlar but there is no mention of fire ratings.

It is my understanding that Kevlar has fire resistant properties, so my question is... Why do you not promote the Extrication Gloves as being fire resistant?
        Richard Nester
        Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

From what I have seen and used the ones I have found to suit me ...(maybe not the best)
          Ringers extracation glove...great fit good touch.
          Andy
          www.blacktownfirerescue.org

Comment

I also have a pair of Ringer's gloves. Very good dexterity and feeling (ALOT better than fire gloves) As far as Nomex Vs. Kevlar, these gloves are designed for extrication, not fire surpression, if there's fire in the compt, you should be wearing fire gloves. Just my thoughts.
            HELL YEAH!!!
            The comments made by me are just that. Not of the Fire dept or Ambulance squad I am on.

Comment

Originally posted by EFDems841:
              <STRONG> As far as Nomex Vs. Kevlar, these gloves are designed for extrication, not fire surpression, if there's fire in the compt, you should be wearing fire gloves. Just my thoughts.</STRONG>
              You apparently did not see the discussion we had on this a couple months ago. If the vehicle is on fire, it is a no-brainer that you wear firefighting gloves. The concern with an "extrication" type glove is the potential for a flash fire that could occur while you are working in close to the vehicle. If you were wearing a nylon type glove when this occurs, it will melt on your hands which is not an acceptable risk for me. The M-16, being made from Nomex, should provide enough protection for me to back out while the crew with the charged line moves in. I would suspect the Kevlar would do the same, but I would rather not test the "theory" myself since Mechanix would be the ones to benefit the most from such information.
              Richard Nester
              Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

Hello MetalMedic,
                The M16 Flame Retardent Gloves are just that. They will give you enough time and protection to get out of the crucial situation when need be. We designed the M16 and the M12 for the fulers of the most popular sport in the world, NASCAR. We have found that rescue workers do like to wear this glove, but they don't last that long as far as durability and cut resistance. We do not rate our gloves with any type of fire rating. We are not looking to make a fire fighting glove. But we are here to let people know that we have a more durable glove availabe to them than using a synthethic leather glove. We did not rate the New Extrication glove, but with the materials that we used to make this high performance, Real Goat Skin Leather, Stretched Kevlar, stiched with Kevlar will give you a certain extent of flash protection if a fire does break out.
                Here's a question:
                What is to tougher?
                A.Synthethic Leather
                B.Real Leather
                B. Yes B is right
                If I was out there and I was in a situation that the car could be under extreme conditions like a fire. I would want a real leather glove, not synthetic.
                I am here to help professionals out there with a better glove that's it. If it's good for NASCAR then whats the problem. Team of guys getting that winning car in and out of the pits in seconds. The same applies to your industry. The difference is this situation is priceless. When your are performing an Extrication the last thing you want to worry about are your own hands. You have no time to.

Thanks for your time

Comment

i bought a pair of BEST FIT black kevlar gloves out of an msc catalog. they fit great, are launderable, can withstand up to 700 deg.,are cut resistant,and have great dexterity. $6.22 plus tax. can't go wrong. they have a woven feel and look.
                  One foot in Hell and waiting on water !!!

Comment

Anybody ever consider / try the nomex military flight gloves ??

If so - what are your thoughts on them as an extrication glove ?

Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
                    Stephen
                    FF/Paramedic
                    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
                    Stephen
                    FF/Paramedic
                    Instructor

Comment

I'll throw in my 2 cents here. I have a pair of the mechanix gloves (m16), a pair of the ringers gloves and a pair of nomex flight gloves.

The flight gloves are ok, but absorb all oil and grease and look like garbage quickly. They are also not as tear resistant as I'd like, I'm on my third pair. I wear them when I can't find my other gloves. If you have a clean pair you don't use for auto ex, these are great for rope work.

The mechanix gloves are by far the most comfortable and are fine for most things, but don't offer as much injury protection around jagged metal, glass etc. NASCAR guys don't have to worry about that much. I wear them when it looks like a simple door pop or during trench or collapse work.

When it looks like a bad pin-in and lots of cutting, prying etc is going on I wear the Ringers - they are comfortable (they make some that fit me which is a miracle to begin with) and most importantly I feel like they protect my hands better. They do wear fairly quickly - the kevlar seems to wear like a nail file - smooths out after a while then starts to rip around it - but I think they're worth it. We have a ringers dealer in the squad so at least I don't have to pay full retail.

As for regular leather gloves...I have yet to find a pair that fits me well enough to consider testing them out. They are all too big if they are thick and durable enough, or if they are made for small hands they are wimpy gloves for gardening or something.

[ 10-16-2001: Message edited by: NCRSQ751 ]
                      Susan Lounsbury
                      Winston-Salem Rescue Squad
                      Griffith Volunteer FD

Comment

I too had a pair of the nomex flight gloves that I kept in my turnout coat for extrication. I was prying the hood open in a older model chevrolet capriece (the kind that looks like a bathtub upside down) there was fire in the engine compartment. the gloves were fireproof but the thread that they were stiched with were not and they completley came apart on me. It is now our department's SOP is that if the situation requires turnouts then gloves are no exception. But I would be intrested in trying a pair of the Mechanix gloves...

Comment

Mechanix Man Here,
                          Mechanix Wear being the originators of a tight fitting synthethic leather glove, and the best fitting glove at that, you should all be using Mechanix Gloves. Look at the name. Why? Price and Quality is far more superior than any other glove on the market. Have you ever tried a Mechanix Glove? Have you seen where these gloves are being used and sold? If not, what are you waiting for. I would be tired of having to buy another pair of gloves everytime a finger wears out, or tears. I am not here to tell you what to use. It's you who knows best, but if I can educate or offer something better for your safety then I have done my job. That's what I do. Sell quality gloves. We are not here to copy others, just make own. Take a chance and check them.

Comment

MechanixMan,

Are you a sales rep. for these gloves?
                            "In all of us there are heroes... speak to them and they will come forth."

"In order for us to achieve all that is demanded of us, we must regard ourselves as greater than we are."

"Be excellent to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by T_man6RFD:
                              <STRONG>MechanixMan,

Are you a sales rep. for these gloves?</STRONG>
                              If you check the profile, it is no secret that MechanixMan is a sales rep for the company. And I think it is great to have him here to answer our questions. Much better to get it from the "horse's mouth" than to have to rely on 2nd hand information.

I plan to carry my pair of Extrication Gloves in my turn-outs for working crash scenes. I will keep my M-16 gloves for working at the race track since we don't encounter broken glass and jagged metal as much there. I guess I will wear my driver gloves on off-days in the pits until they fall apart (which shouldn't take too long!!).
                              Richard Nester
                              Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X