Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mike starks
    replied
    Our dept has had 9 complete Phoenix units in service now for over 5 years with no significant issues in service, maint, or user applications. We are serviced by Tupelo Fire Equipment out of MS. and they’ve given us very good service so far. We were a Hurst exclusive department prior to our re-tool program and still have some Hurst tools in reserve. My firefighters and rescue techs seem to like the overall shape and design of the tool. Phoenix power heads we use are Honda powered and have given good service, we’ve had one pump problem that was corrected in the field and I've had to send on back to the dealer for testing and adjustments. All in all I can't say anything bad about the equipment

Leave a comment:

• MetalMedic
    replied
    Originally posted by tfd603:
    <STRONG>I would check and see if the tool has been NFPA 1936 tested, and if so whether or not it passed. Just thinking about your safety.

Stay safe out there.</STRONG>
    I am curious... has anyone ever heard of someone being injured by a hydraulic tool failure? More specifically, failure of a properly maintained tool performing a function it was designed for???

Leave a comment:

• tfd603
    replied
    I would check and see if the tool has been NFPA 1936 tested, and if so whether or not it passed. Just thinking about your safety.

Stay safe out there.

Leave a comment:

• extricationresearch
    replied
    Guys & Girls,

Just wanted to say thanks for the posts and please keep them coming. I love to hear about all brands of rescue tools, good or bad.

I did not know much about this company so I want to learn as much as I can.

Thanks to you all,

Extrication Research

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: Extrication Research ]

Leave a comment:

• JAS
    replied
    I agree it sound like you should contact the factory and get the problem fixed. We a truck builder install equipment they don't always know what there doing. Phoenix has always responded faster than any other Rescue Tool Company and has the best equipment out there. It well worth the money

Leave a comment:

• MetalMedic
    replied
    If you have followed some of my comments here, you know that I am very comfortable with the Phoenix Tools that we have. They replaced a Hurst set and we don't regret the change one bit. We started with the 35/25 Rescue Tool (not just a "combo tool"), C/C Cutter and the 25/60 Super Ram. We have since added a S/B Cutter and will probably get a small ram soon. When we get a new rescue truck, I am going to lobby for the 49/52 Rescue Tool and a Simo power unit which I think would do the job for about anything we would have thrown at us.

The service you receive is obviously based upon how good your local reps are. Knowing what I do about the Company, I am sure if you had problems and related them to their Corporate people (don't be surprised to call F.M. Brick and speak to the President or Vice-president of the corporation), they will do whatever they can to make things right.

Without going into the entire history, the bottom line is that the designer of the Phoenix Tools used to be an engineer for Hurst. The reason he went on his own was to develop improvements that he was not given the support to do at his previous employer...

Leave a comment:

• Halligan84
    replied
    We have used Phoenix for about 13 years or so. We initially liked them because of the versatility (combo tools, telescoping rams). I still like them for that purpose and find that their designs are still among the best (interesting to see them being copied now). Of everything we have the only real complaint I have with the design is the simo pump, which, at least in our case, is just a piece of junk. The pump itself (not the motor) has failed twice on scenes and when it was delivered to the rescue truck manufacturer for initial installation, they had to do quite a bit of repair work to it before it could be installed (brand new!) Over the last few years reliability has become an issue. I realize things will break, but at times it became excessive (ram stuck in full extension, valve failures or leaks on spreaders, simo pump failures) If we had prompt service, it wouldn't bother me too much, but our local Phoenix dealer has not helped matters at all. Its a shame, if all things were equal, Id buy Phoenix again for the same reasons as before, but you have to be able to service your product.

Leave a comment:

• TCFire
    replied
    We've had a Phoenix tool since 1994 and have no complaints. I can't remember the model, I'll guess it's a model 32 combination cutter/spreader with a gas power unit. We also have a Phoenix Ram. It's been used many times over the years and has not let us down. It was recently PM'd by our dealer, fluid replaced, with no other problems found. We had to replace some extension hose connections last year due to corrosion and before that we snapped a piece off the spreader tip, but no other problems to speak of. Being a combination tool it can be a challenge to get into tight spots, but with practice you get used to making room for the tool. Used in combination with our Cip saw we have yet to come across a wreck where we couldn't do what needed to be done. It's cut guard rails, semi tractor cabs, performed numerous dash rolls, popped numerous doors and we've never found it to be under-powered or unable to do what we wanted it to do. It's heavy, but not that much more than other cutters and spreaders I've had the chance to try out. Our area Phoenix rep is good to work with and has taken care of any of the few issues we've had with no problem.

Leave a comment:

• extricationresearch
    started a topic Thanks

Thanks

[ 09-01-2001: Message edited by: Extrication Research ]

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader