Amkus Star Award...Your opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amkus Star Award...Your opinion

My department recently extricated a male subject from a pick up that had plowed into a tree. On scene time to time of extrication was 15 minutes. He came out of the truck alive, was transported to a local hospital, and then med flighted to Mass General Hospital where he died from his injuries. Our Chief said he was going to put us in for the Amkus Star Award, but I don't think this qualifies. Granted, he was alive when we pulled him out, but he still died from injuries caused by the accident. I don't think I would feel right about it. Opinions welcome.
    PS-The pictures can be seen on the "Southern Maine Fire Notification" web site. Click on enter, and then go into "Fire Pictures". Once in there, click on Rollinsford MVA.

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: smokeeater51 ]
    Take care, stay safe, & stay low!

Lt.

Had you not had the rescue tools.. the patient would have died in the vehicle. You used the tools to deliver to the hospital a living patient which is a "save" in my book. The death was something you had no control over, but you gave that patient a chance... Therefore, I think you have met the criterion for an Amkus Star.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

A Posting From Ron Moore, Forum Moderator

This is a message to "smoke eater 51" and every one of his team members on that call.

I went to the website he mentioned and found the images of the pickup head-on into the tree.

It is one of the most severe examples of a head-on collision I have ever seen. I am shocked that the patient wasn't a Priority 0 when crews arrived.

You should feel good that your efforts extricated the patient in a timely manner.

You should be proud of your accomplishments at this crash regardless of patient outcome.

If Amkus has an award to give, then you guys deserve to receive it. Good job!

Take a look for yourself if you don't believe me... Click here to see for yourself.
      http://www.geocities.com/smfna/firepics/rollmva.html

Ron Moore,
      Fire Training Manager
      Plano (TX) Fire Rescue
      214-728-6776
      <[email protected]>
      Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
      www.universityofextrication.com

Comment

I agree with Ron and others, after viewing the pictures, if you made a timely and effective Rescue, Which from your description you did, Your team deserves the recognition. You can only play with the cards you are dealt. We can and do do wondeful things, But we cannot change what was dealt us before the alarm. It is amazing you guys did what you did. Be proud of your work. Please donot feel guilty about changing things you had no control over
        Rescue is the Art & Science of matching your tools, talents and tricks to needs of our customers!
        Carl D. Avery

Comment

Do you need an award to recognize what you guys did for this person?

The fact that this person survivied initially is a miracle in itself. The fact that he made to hospital is testimony enough to the monumental and awesome effort the medics did and the extrication crew in getting the person out.

Don't lose focus of the good job you did here, and I'm sure at many other MVA's your dept. has attended.....

[ 09-11-2001: Message edited by: lutan ]
          Luke

Comment

Thanks for the input and the advice.
            No, I don't feel that an award/recognition is needed, but the choice is not mine. I am very happy that we did our job, did it well, and gave this man a chance. I am not in this for recognition or awards, but I feel honored that my Chief wants to recognize his people. I just did'nt know how I'd feel about receiving an award when a family has suffered such a tragic loss, and I guess I still don't.
            Again, thanks for the input. It's greatly appreciated.
            Take care, stay safe, & stay low!

Lt.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...