Seating assignments for extrications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seating assignments for extrications

My department has seating assignments posted in the cabs of the trucks for structure fires. Does anyone out there think if it is a good idea to have seating assignments for extrications. And if so what are some examples?
    "You can't volunteer to be a doctor on the weekends"

We kinda do, and it works really well. The Squad crew is responsible for initial stablization if needed, and scene size up. Squad Chauffer is in charge of tool staging/troubleshooting.

Engine crew from the Tac Response does hydraulics. Amulance Crew gets hand tools (saw zall and air chisel)

We also have a additional Engine and Ambulance for initial pt care and a hoseline.

Obviously Extrications can be quite interesting at times, so these are simply some initial assignments to get everyone moving in the right direction. We all realize they change often and quickly.

Comment

We carry 4 fire fighters in our rescue on route to the scene. Once at the scene, all four have different jobs to complete prior to any extrication.

The front seat passenger is the IC and is responsible for the scene survey.

The driver is responsible for starting our generator, aiming our fixed halogen lights onto the scene, and setting up pylons and other traffic control devices around the scene.

The back left passenger is responsible for pulling our placing our tool tarp (this is a big tarp with all of our hand tools sown into pockets so all we have to do is roll it out, and 80% of our hand tools are staged). Once he has set up the tool tarp, he continues to remove larger tools such as the recip. saw case and extinguisher.

The right passenger is responsible for connecting and starting our hydraulic tools. Once they are connected and started, he helps pull the other tools out.

By the time this is all done, the IC has done the survey and has planned the attack. The pumped has also arrived with at least two more members. Then we start the extrication with whatever manpower resources we have.

I like the way this works because it gives everyone a job to do once we get to the scene. On our first couple of accidents we went on (before we had this SOG), we had really bad tunnel vision. We would all rush out of the rescue and start getting involved in the scene. Then we would have to go back and get tools, or set up a staging area. It was a real cluster *&^#$. Now, the members are busy doing their task, and that allows the IC to do a thorough scene survey before anyone gets involved.

We even have laminated sheets in the rescue that remind each person what they are responsible for when they get to the scene. It helps keep every one focused. It does not help to have one person remember to put the recip. saw on the tarp, but the other member did not bring the extension cord.

Comment

The only allocation we have is that the IC is in the front passenger seat. That way they can do "a windscreen report" with the driver and begin their size up job.

In our case, as we're all volunteers, you never know who is going to be on the rig, you need to allocate tasks to different people dependant on their skill levels. I beleive you need to be flexible in your approach to every scnene as they're always different...
        Luke

Comment

A Posting From Ron Moore, Forum Moderator

Related to the riding positions message thread is an experiment I recently concluded on staffing for extrications. Over the past few months, I trained all 273 members of our department in the "Phases of Rescue' drill, a new national model extrication drill.

The "Phases' drill is a timed and standardized series of rescue tasks that teams must perform. The "Phases" series of articles is posted online for your review.
          http://www.firehouse.com/extrication...ptember00.html

Interestingly enough, when a crew of three completed the drill, their total tool times were near the maximum allowable times. When we added a fourth rescuer, however, the total tool times for each task were reduced significantly.

What I thought was interestering though was when I added a fifth rescuer to the team. There was no significant improvement in tool times with five compared to four. The fifth person just 'got in the way' more than they actually helped the cause.

For our department, we're now developing SOGs for our extrication operations based on a crew of four rescuers plus the two EMS members.

Ron Moore,
          Fire Training Manager
          Plano (TX) Fire Rescue
          214-728-6776
          <[email protected]>
          Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
          www.universityofextrication.com

Comment

We do things a little differently. We ahve a heavy rescue squad that carries eight. The driver runs the unit. The officer comes up with the strategies and give dirrections. Since the crew in the back can vary in size depending on the number of volunteers, the senior firefighter gives assignments. If fully staffed then it usually goes something like this: two get the first set of tools, one gets the windshield kit, two get stabilization, others can get lights, run more tools, get the sawz all, or other tasks that may be necessary. This method works for us.
            THE ABOVE REFLECTS MY OPINIONS AND IN NO WAY REFLECTS THOSE OF MY DEPARTMENT.

Comment

My company runs with riding assignments for rescue. Primarily there are 2 seats assigned to stabilization, 1 for fire supression, 1 for staging tools, the officer for initial walk around, size up and planning extrication path, and the operator. After the stabilization is in place the the stabilization crew (2 members) controll the batery, and begin the extrication following the officers direction. The crew member in charge of staging then turns and runs the power plant. By this time EMS has arrived and if in PPE will gain access to the Pt.

It has been my experience that once the initial assignments have been accomplished the OIC has come up with the extrication method and path. Once the initial assignments are complete the OIC deligates jobs and everyone goes from there. Works well for us.

Hope this helped!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X