Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minimum required equipment (mirrored from specilized rescue forum)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum required equipment (mirrored from specilized rescue forum)

I'm in process of putting a list of equipment that we (our department) needs to get in order to bring our heavy rescue up to par with what is needed on our truck.
    What I'm looking for is if anyone knows of an NFPA standards out there that pertains to this (all I know of is NFPA 1607), or if anyone has anything else that would recommend what is needed, such as we need 8 air bags or 3 life safety ropes and 5 utility ropes. My department's heavy rescue carries equipment for vehicle extrication, rope rescue, Ice water and just water rescue, among other things. We have been in this area of work since the 60s so there is a lot of self proclaimed experts as to what is needed and what is not to make a well equipped heavy rescue. I have my own opinions on what should be on there but I have very little to back myself as far as standards or adopted SOPs from other departments in the area. So, the department told me to put a list of equipment that we would need to purchase to bring the truck up to snuff with a standard or adopted rule of other fire departments in the country.
    Lastly I need to find out what the rule is as far as PPE that is needed for the various tasks. My department has several of its members that are firefighters and have our own equipment (turn out gear), but a majority of the department doesn't have structural PPE so it leaves them out when it comes to Vehicle extrication. I have done some research into the extrication part and found that the rule is that you only need flash resistant gear (I took that as a set of nomex jacket/pants such as forestry gear would be sufficient) if anyone out there could let me know if that would work or not I would appreciate it. Also any other input on gear for any of the other rescue situation I would appreciate it.
    Thanks
    Chris

I'm not sure you'll find a standard for a "heavy" or "light" rescue. What you can find online is inventories of some decent heavy rescues that might give you a start (Bethesda Chevy Chase, Wheaton, Charlottesville are a couple) The real question for equipment is, what is your potential for incidents? What have you had and came up short on? What has changed in your district that necessitates new equipment?

As far as PPE, I'd rather not use structural PPE for anything but fires. There are some nice rescue style PPE available now, check them out.

Comment

Pennsylvania has come out with required equipment lists for companies participating in the voluntary rescue certification program. It sounds like you would be interested in the class 1 rescue list. If you are interested, e mail me and I will send it. It is several pages long.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X