Extrication Training Pad Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extrication Training Pad Ideas

Received a question from a fire department considering building a place where they could do all their vehicle rescue training. Their question was, "We are going to install a concrete pad for vehicle rescue training. Can you recomend how large the pad should be?"

My response was-

If you are going to limit your extrication training to cars, vans, pickups and SUVs, measure a Ford Excursion. That will give you a basic length and width for a large vehicle. Add length for working front and rear. Add width for working on both sides at the same time with both front door wide open. Add additional width on one side for tool staging; minimum 20x20 for this.

For cars, vans etc, I typically use the equivalent of three apparatus bays wide by two vehicles long.

Consider markings that simulate the width of a two lane highway.

Consider a manhole cover in the center. You can remove the cover and place the stub end of a pole into it to practice having a car into a tree or pole.

Consider running metal guardrails along one side of the pad. This will allow for training of a vehicle into and on a guardrail.

On one of the short ends, consider placing concrete detour barriers found at highway construction sites. This will allow for training of a vehicle into, on, and next to these giant barriers.

Consider running electric to the pad so you do not need generators to power electric tools. it's quieter that way.

Consider good lighting for night training.

Just some thoughts! Anyone else out there have some more suggestions?

Ron Moore
    Forum Moderator
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Perhaps I should not even mention it... but we have talked about an extrication training building at our local training facility and one of the "thoughts" was to not make the entire floor concrete. The reason being that a gravel floor would better simulate unstable terrain and also would create less of a clean-up problem for any leaking fluids (I know, I know... it does raise a red flag for improper disposal of the fluids)...
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
    Working...
    X