Airbag injuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbag injuries

I attended an air bag class and heard from the presenter that there have been other accidental, post collision deployments of airbags during rescues and even a fatality during a curtian bag deployment. Can anyone tell me where I might be able to verify this information or if they know first hand of any injuries that have occured. I had been under the impression that Dayton was the only documented case.

[This message has been edited by jducharme (edited 06-22-2001).]

News of these types of incidents travel pretty quick, right around the world! And they generally create a lot of discussion amongst FF's, rescuers and EMS members.

I've only heard of the Dayton accident-not any others....

Comment

I have asked the same question several times on several other boards and get the same answers. (Battery disconnect SOP topic)

Kudos to Holmatro for putting their Vehicle Technology book together, but there are a lot of "experts" out there preaching gloom and doom about airbags. In the Battery SOP discussion, it was address on how much time it takes to find and disconnect a battery. Again, eat up the Golden Hour looking for the battery to disconnect to possibly prevent a deployment. Don't get me wrong, if you have the personnel to address the batteries, fine. But, when you have a serious pin, seldom do we have the people to spare with stabilization, access, removal and packaging of patients.

Again, other than Dayton, has anyone had a deployment during an actual extrication?????

Comment

A Posting From Ron Moore, Forum Moderator

I have information collected by Bob Brown, formerly of Holmatro Inc. His data lists other airbag and pre-tensioner deployments in addition to the Dayton incident. Most relate to the module flying off during a fully involved vehicle fire.

There are no deaths reported. Deployments reported do include injuries to EMS personnel and several firefighters.
        Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
        www.universityofextrication.com

Comment

Will you or Mr. Brown be making this information available for review? Said presenter stated a police officer set off a side impact bag while opening the door killing the female driver-if I'm not correct he said it happened in Phoenix, sounds like a play on the slim-jim story.
          Thanks

Comment

In the data reported to have been collected by Bob Brown when he was an employee of Holmatro, there is only one incident from Arizona; Tucson, AZ.

The data reports that a driver's frontal airbag deployed even after the battery was shut down. Data says patient got glancing blow from airbag, minor injury.

Ron Moore
            Forum Moderator
            Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
            www.universityofextrication.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader