Tensioned Buttress Struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tensioned Buttress Struts

Hello all, my dept is looking into possibly purchasing a set of tensioned buttress struts. What does everyone think of them? I need pros, cons, what brands to/not to buy etc. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks, Russ...

------------------

Check out Zmagrescue.com. Their ground pads are simple, easy to use, and very effective.

Good Luck

Comment

An alternative would be to check out www.airshore.com or www.rescue42.com.

I believe you need something that will do the job as presented. You need to see the options available and make the choice on your own.

KBR

Comment

You owe it to your agency to check out the ResQJack system. I think you will find it safe, quick, efficient, and cost effective. I understand that the Plano, TX has accepted them as their standard tool for stablizing overturns. Search the web for Cepco Tool Co.

Comment

THIS EDITED MESSAGE CORRECTS THE LINK TO RESCUE 42, IT SHOULD WORK NOW.

There Have been only a few Options mentioned here so far. This area is the hotter than a two dollar Pistol. Again as always I suggest you Look carefully at as many options as you can. Each tool has plusses and minuses. Some considerations you need to Look As are Budget, cappacity, ease of deployment, and the ability to Frig something up! The Ceptco tool has some nice abilities, but I do question there tensioning system, I think you need to carefully evaluate the mechanical force you can apply with the screw jack and how decieving it can be to apply that force. Most of the other systems are very similar and use a different system. Personally, of the type that use 4x4's I prefer the ZMAG Ground pads and NO it is not just because he is a friend of mine. I feel his hinge is the best out there as in how it directs the force. Air Shore and Paratech struts are the ROLLS ROYCE of the business and you pay for that with what may be overkill, If you have or are gona have that tool on your resuce unit, there is no need to double up on the others, How ever there are several other Sweet ones out there that use adjustable steel tubing, Look them over and check out all the options, How the hinges work and how easy they are to apply. Check out www.zmagrescue.com and www.rescuelogic.com and www.rescue42.com as always anlyse your needs and assets and buy the tool that works for you. May I also suggest you Email all these guys and see what they have to say about why there products are the best, they may open your eyes and help you decide

------------------
          Rescue is the Art & Science of matching your tools, talents and tricks to needs of our customers!
          Carl D. Avery

[This message has been edited by Carl Avery (edited 06-26-2001).]

Comment

I have to agree with Carl as well. I think the cepco tool has it's purpose, from what I've seen you can easily move a vehicle with it; that would be ill advised if that said vehicle is precariously positioned.
            However, I think it is equally important to look at all the options that are out there today. While the ART & paratech struts are cost intensive there are many applications where they are the right tool for the job at hand. Long shores (i.e. long 4x4's w/ratchet strap) and ground pads are excellent tools in their own right as well as the adjustible steel stock device such as rescue logic or rescue42.
            The key is to try them all, prefer. in a practical sense on the training ground. See the + and - of each and what other applications they might work in and take it from there.
            Be Safe,
            Dave D

------------------
            Be dynamic..or go home!

Comment

Take a look at the Crutch as well. Lightweight, easy to use and store, and relatively inexpensive.... www.alpharescue.com

Comment

OK, time for a little truth about the Res-Q-Jack(tm) Stabilization Equipment:

Regarding Carl's remarks,
                I do question their tensioning system...
                You've never asked, give me a call at 1-800-466-9626 and ask me. Or email me at [email protected] , or check out our website at: RES-Q-JACK We have a complete package of information, CD-ROMs, PowerPoint Presentations, Photo collections, "How to" articles, etc.

As for Roadwayrsq, you could easily injure a man if you pointed a gun at him and pulled the trigger. That's why we don't do that. Before you work with you should have an idea of how it works, and then before real world application, you should know its capabilities.

Yes, you can easily move a car with the jack unit. Isn't that wonderful! The department that came to our booth at the NY chiefs show was certainly pleased about the fact that it lifted the car roof rail off a woman's head. We don't recommend lifting cars with the equipment. We prefer to have the air lift bags perform this task and simply utilize the Res-Q-Jack features to follow the vehicle up. This redefines "lift an inch, crib an inch"!

Incidently, the Coral Gables Rescue Team just won the 2001 World Competition in South Africa. What stabilization equipment did they fly over with and actually use in their scenarios? RES-Q-JACK In fact, they use a 3-point package comprised completely of Jack Stands for maximum versatility.

And I agree, look at all the options, and know what you are looking at, then make your selection. You will have a much greater appreciation, knowing you picked the best equipment for your crew and the best equipment for the patient stuck in the car waiting for you.

No fancy closing, except a comment I heard someone make at the New England Chief's Show last week: "It ain't JACK, if it's not a Res-Q-Jack"

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: cp-ny ]

Comment

Chris and others here at this forum, As YOU are aware I AM aware of your tool. I think it has some wonderful potentials. I see those potentials as a JACK, not a stabilization tool. I could be wrong I am merely one man, a man with an opinion. I do think you have contributed greatly to the stabilization industry, Especially in the area of your counter poles. But I have also looked at your web sight and questioned some of the things you put forth as Stabilization do not meet my definition. They come more under the heading of support. To me stabilization is to make rock solid. Suspending a car by Chains, whilst maybe be helpful in certain circumstances, is not stabilizing the vehicle. Chris, again I say Cepco (my apologizes for previous misspellings) is a good tool, But I still question how easy it would be at Zero: Dark Thirty to make a mistake. If you guys and gals out there are confident that you wont missuse this thing accidentally in the heat of battle, while there are other tools that accomplish the same task of stabilization that simply do not have the same power Cepco does, feel free to run with the tool. Hey, all this is just my Opinion, I still put my pants on one leg at a time. As Chris did say look at 'em all with an open eye and an open mind and then YOU decide

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: Carl Avery ]

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: Carl Avery ]
                  Rescue is the Art & Science of matching your tools, talents and tricks to needs of our customers!
                  Carl D. Avery

Comment

Somehow I knew this would turn into a urination exhibit. Hey Russ, I have a great idea. On July 14-15 in Windsor Locks Ct. at the CT state fire acdm. you will be able to watch first hand some of the best extrication teams on the east coast. I openly invite you to come, watch, learn and share a ton of expertise and knowledge, as well as haveing the chance to play with and use any tool available. I'm not sure what part of Mass. your from, but Windsor Locks is fairly cloes to the northern border of CT. I'll be there as well as many others dedicated to the cause. Talk to everyone there, use the tools then make your decision of first hand knowledge and not internet opinions. See ya there .....

Comment

Carl, I'm not too sure you know what you think you know about the Res-Q-Jack, at least from what you are saying here. This equipment most certainly does create a rock solid platform and quickly. If it didn't, we wouldn't make it. Regarding the setup with the chain sling on a roof-resting car, this is extremely solid, so I can't figure out what you are talking about. From your statement it is obvious you have no first-hand experience with it, therefore I think it appropriate that you not comment on it because it tends to erode your credibility. Of course, you are free to say what you will, but saying what you will without knowledge is somewhat unprofessional in my most humble opinion. Carl, I'm simply asking that you speak with facts not just an awareness. If you would like to actually work with the equipment, and not just look at it, you are welcome to visit us and we'll show you just how it works - bring your gear. Are we done yet? Thank you.

Comment

Boy Russ, you did it this time. No sales pitches here, just OPINIONS from one rescue tech to another. As an instructor and a TERC judge, I have had the chance to use a number of the "SECURED BUTTRESS SYSTEMS", (All buttresses are tensioned. These systems are secured), as well as watch teams use them in the heat of battle. Lets face it, with practice, anyone can use just about anything. But how much practice to do you get with the tools? If your answer is a bunch, then good for you. Or is your practice really only the time you use them? K.I.S.S. Keeping it simple is what it is all about. I've use the ZMAG Ground Pads, the crutch, RSQ-jack, Nitemare Strut from Junkyard Dog Corp, and probably more. I have my fav's and ones that I wouldnt use in a stabilization job. But that is not important. Russ, as Mike stated, go to the comp an watch. If you are smart enough to ask the question, you can certainly figure out which is best by yourself without salesman getting "touchy" here.
                        Keep practicing and bring everyone home with you.
                        K.I.S.S.
                        Skip Rupert
                        Shrewsbury, PA
                        "Keeper of the Rescue Zone"
                        [email protected]

Comment

Well Said Skip! I have offered my opinion and all I ask of anyone here is to Look at 'em all with an truly open eye and an inquisitve mind. If you disagree with me that is fine. I am student of the art and claim no special expertise, But I do have eyes, ears and a mind. So I feel free to offer my opinions, Please tell us all what yours are?
                          Carl D. Avery

Comment

Wonderful, it appears we've put this one to bed. Russ, and the rest of you in cyberextricationland, I apologize for what you've experienced here, but it's a vicious cycle kind of like the hydraulic wars. What compounds things and flares tempers are the unfounded quite often uneducated opinions and personal biases unrelated to equipment performance. I can keep quiet only so long, and then I have to set the record straight.

Firematic Supply called in your department's order today. Thanks, and welcome to the Res-Q-Jack(tm) team ! Sorry I missed you at the show.

Quick note on another issue raised: Buttress stands are compression members - they are not in tension. If they are in tension something is seriously wrong. Base strapping, on the other hand, is in tension. If you are involved in stabilization you should familiarize yourself with these basic terms and their definitions. Why? Materials display various strength characteristics depending on the nature of the load - shear, tension, compression. For example, concrete is great in compression but worthless in tension.

Comment

OK, I type corrected.....I think. So are we
                              talking about compressed buttress system or a compressed secure system? I'm not college boy and since I dont understand the tensioned buttress system, or secured buttress system, or compressed whatever it is we have, guess I wont use them. However, whatever it is you call it, practice with them. One thing I didnt get into is that I do agree with Carl. And I have taken the time to talk to Chris at the FIREHOUSE show last year. I spent about 45 minutes with you and you explained it all to me. In closing, good-luck Russ. Any additional comments here can be sent to email.
                              Skip Rupert
                              Shrewsbury, PA
                              "Keeper of the Rescue Zone"
                              [email protected]

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader