Ram length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram length?

Our department is looking at replacing our aging Hurst tools with new Hurst,Holmatro or Amkus tools. Our budget will allow for only 1 ram, so, in your experience what lenght would we need most. (dash displacements etc.) We currently have only a spreader and cutter. Thanks.

------------------
    Barry Friesen, Captain
    Altona Emergency Services
    Manitoba, Canada

Get a multi-stage telescoping ram, if you can just get one. It's large range of push will provide you with more options than a single stage ram.

Comment

We don't use our rams as much these days, so I would think a medium sized one would work best. We do dash rolls, etc using the spreaders now so we don't have to change tools.

We do use rams on cars upside down when the roof is smashed... seems to work pretty good to lift everything up, and if you stabilze as you go we don't have any problems.....

Comment

I'll agree with ffcuy on using cutter/spreader to do a dash lift when possible, what a difference. However, I would recommend a medium size (30-40" range) a maybe an extension kit. I know some do not like the extension kit but the use of a ram as a substitute for a crushed post on a rollover is one of those situations where you need the long ram. I think my experiences have shown a far greater need for long rams vs. short ones.
        FYI

Comment

Take a look at the Phoenix 25/60 Super Ram. 25 inches closed, extending to 60 inches open. Your spreader can get you to the 25 inch range... once you get this ram in the opening, 5 foot is a big opening if you need one.

Comment

Thanks guys! When using spreaders for dash rolls that tool is committed till that operation is done, right? Or do you block as you go ,or what? What if spreaders are needed elsewhere? Also, do you put the tips into the relief cut at the bottom front of the door? Thanks again!

------------------
            Barry Friesen, Captain
            Altona Emergency Services
            Manitoba, Canada

Comment

Barry, If Hurst is one of the tools you are looking at, look at the two stage ram. 18" closed and 40" open (I think). The design was done by LUKAS. If you have not bought yet, take a look at LUKAS. They have a 3 stage ram. 18" closed 51" open. Lots of pushing power behind it as well. But this is just another thought. My department runs LUKAS and we wouldnt go with anything else.

------------------
              Skip Rupert
              Shrewsbury Fire CO, PA
              [email protected]

Comment

Check out the Holmatro 3000 series telescoping rams.

Good size in both the open and closed position. Heaps of spreading/pushing distance available with heaps of power to match.

Comment

First, we have not used our rams on an extrication in about a year, we mainly do a dash lift with the spreaders.

The first thing that you need to consider before buying a telescoping ram, is the fluid capacity of your pump, if the reservoir is to small then you may not have enough fluid to operate the ram and another tool at the same time.

Comment

RSQLT43 made a good point abouth the size of the oil reservoir for telescopic rams.

We did have these problems when we initially purchased our tools, until we updated the pump. This problem became very apparent when using two tools consecutively.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X