Gaining access to the battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I agree with Res7cue on this ......you can also catch the release cable between the forks on the haligan and twist. That will also release the hood...(most of the time)

Originally posted by res7cue:
    Eng69's advice is great and works great most of the time. Use the BIGGEST F/F you have to do this.

Another method we've used during accidents and also to access the engine compt during auto fires it to make access thru the grill, locate the cable that activates the hood latch. Use a set of vice grips and clamp on the cable and pull. 99.9% of the time it will open the latch.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I have used the air chissel technique and found a Double thickness hood, And striking the hood with a Haligan or any other similar devise is just as likely to deploy the air bags as using the Jaws. SO you can probably tell that I am for using the jaws attacking the hood from the side. NOW what about those cars that have the Batteries under the rear seat or in the trunk, or better yet burried deap in the front fender well, Like in most new Chryslers, Poping the Hood will get you nothing then.

------------------
    Rescue is the Art & Science of matching your tools, talents and tricks to needs of our customers!
    Carl D. Avery

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    both of the previous methods would work I personelly dont like the idea of striking the vehicle with the halligian, rember pt saftey. The method I teach is the use of an air chisel, by making a large half moon cut you shoud be able to make access to the cables, and it only takes a few seconds to make a cut like this.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Eng69's advice is great and works great most of the time. Use the BIGGEST F/F you have to do this.

Another method we've used during accidents and also to access the engine compt during auto fires it to make access thru the grill, locate the cable that activates the hood latch. Use a set of vice grips and clamp on the cable and pull. 99.9% of the time it will open the latch.

------------------

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Once a vehicle is involved in a crash, I wouldn't take anything for granted. In theory, the use of hydraulic tools should not activate the airbags since it is not likely the action of the tools would trigger the required sensors needed to activate the SRS. However, considering the Toledo incident (or was it Dayton??), we know that anything is possible.

I learned a neat trick to gain access to a battery using a halligan tool. Use the point end of the tool to penetrate the hood about a foot toward the center from the battery. Once it is imbedded into the hood, turn it so the point is toward the battery and pull the bar end the opposite direction. This will pry up the corner of the hood where the battery is and should give you access to it.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Gaining access to the battery?

Gaining access to the battery?

I just posted a topic about an extrication on May 15th. We had trouble getting the hood open to cut the battery. The hood release didn't work, and both airbags in the front didn't deploy. We eventually pryed the hood up far enough with a pry bar to cut the battery, but this took time and delayed the removal of the driver's side door. My question is that the spreaders were sitting there ready to go is it o.k. to go ahead and use the spreaders to pop open the hood? Will this have any consequences as far as maybe setting off and airbag?

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X