Tractor trailer, Hazmat scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tractor trailer, Hazmat scene

All the tractor/trailer combinations I have seen have a pipeline running between the fuel tanks and a valve on the line. My solution would have been to close this valve so that the diesel was no longer able to run into the lower tank.
    What does everybody else think?

Daryl,
    Yes when there are saddle tanks used on tractors there is what is called a crossover line so that the level in both tank stay the same, while the fuel pump is only pulling out of one tank. This is too insure the weight remains equal on both sides during normal operating conditions. BUT, while there is this line and there is a valve on this line, that can be shutoff incase of a tank rupture or the line being damaged. In this situation it is much too dangerous to get under the tractor to shut the valve. You got too realize that these road trators weigh about 30,000 lbs. and the only thing that is holding it to the trailor is a three inche in diameter pin. So as a driver myself the best way I could see to handle this situation is with the wood pin the way it was handled.

Comment

I personally made a vote on the second question to strecth a standy-by line versus stabilizing the truck. The reson that I would do this is because I would want to make sure that if while myself or my crew were in the process of stabilizing the truck, I had a safety measure in place in the event of a fire or flashover from the diesel fuel. Although diesel fuel is not nearly as flammable as gasoline, it still presents a fire hazard from any sparking in close proximity to it, like if the vehicle was to start shifting and metal grinded against metal to create an unsafe element in the presence of haz mat. That's why I'd go for the hose line on the ground before stabilizing. Scene safety comes above all else, and that charged 2 1/2" on the ground could be your best friend.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X