Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hurst jaws and cutter power supply preference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    We use a Hurst electric Simo pump that is connected to 2 - reels on our truck (1-100' & 1-150') and operates 2 tools with no problem. We also have a Gas Powered Hurst 4-cycle for backup (I think it is a Honda). We have always used Hurst pumps, but I saw a company called TnT Rescue that had some high and low pressure pumps that were Hurst compatible. Have not had the chance to try TnT though.

Here is our setup: http://www.tcfd.com/apparatus/100-hurst.jpg

------------------
    JAY KURTZ
    CAPTAIN
    TRUMBULL CENTER FD
    WWW.TCFD.COM

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    My department just replaced a Hurst/honda unit with a New Simo power unit, with a 6.5 Honda from Champion Rescue tools. this seems to have a lot more power when trying to finsh a cut on hard/thicker metals and runs 2 tools simultaneouly with easy!!!! The nicest part of this unit is it's cost, which is almost half the price of the name brand hurst unit... Check out their website for more info: wwwchampionrescuetools.com

Go luck!!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Go HONDA. The briggs in my opinion are not as dependable and the honda has always started on first pull.I have yet to see a briggs do that.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi Mike,
    My Department has had several power units, the best portable unit we've used is a Hurst pump powered by a 4HP Honda engine. Starts 1st pull every time, ultra simple to operate, even a night and is pretty quiet. Recommend keeping the fuel shut off when not in use only to keep gas from flooding down to the oil. Our new Squad has a Electric Simo pump by Hurst, runs 2 tools at the same time with 100 ft. preconnected reels. We thought we died and went to heaven! Flip the swtich, grab the tool and go to work. We still carry the Honda gas unit as backup, for 3rd tool operation or going where the Squad can't get to. Hope this helps. John, Capt. Hope-Jackson Fire

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    the hurst 4 cycle generator should serve your power needs especially if you are using the manifold if you are running multiple tools at the same time.also using a remote dump valve would be in your beat interests.if by chance your budget wont allow you to spend the money on a new power unit i would recommend upgrading you 2 cycle generator.good luck mike m

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Make sure it is a Honda engine!! And a simo pump to boot!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    We are running a Hurst Simo unit on our rescue, with a Honda engine on it. Talk about a good engine, the thing starts on the first pull every time, and runs fairly quiet.

The other Hurst power unit that I have worked with at another department was a single pump electric one. This one always ran as long as the genarator was working, and the tools where much quicker than with a gas powered unit.

Hurst also makes a water, yes water powered pump, that is intrinsicly safe. We played with one last year, and it worked as good as any gas unit. It ran off the 2 1/2" discharge, and cycled the water back to the engine. Would make a nice little setup for HAZ-MAT work, in flamable areas.

------------------
    All comments are the opinion of the author, and not of any service they are a member of.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Our department recently received a 50% reimbursement grant from Maryland DOT to purchase a combo tool and new pump. We got the 4-cycle Simo Pump. I has a 6 HP Briggs & Straton Quantum motor. It has turned out to be a god send. I usually starts with under 3 pulls; it is small and compact but it can still operate a combo tool, "O" Cutters, 32-B Spreaders and a 60" Ram at the same time without any loss of power (or very minimal depending on your definition of "loss of power")

The unit is also not as expensive as some would think. We got our for approximately $5,000 - 6,000.

This little unit has my vote.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The engine that is on it was at least before 1985.That is all I can tell you.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Tecemseh should be a good motor to have. How old is it? Before the Quantum, the Tecemseh was superior to the the B&S...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    We have a Techumse(sp)4 cycle on our unit at the time.I am not sure what the hp is though.Maybe all we need to do is replace the engine.
    Thanks for your input.

Mike

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    If you have Hurst Tools, I would recommend keeping with a Hurst Power Unit. If you have one of the old 2-cycle Hurst power units, I am sure you have some touching moments with it! The 4-cycle units won't give you the fits the 2-cycle ones used to. A Quantum Briggs & Staten 5HP is a reliable engine. We have one on our Phoenix and I am very confident in it's performance.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Hurst jaws and cutter power supply preference?

Hurst jaws and cutter power supply preference?

Our all volunteer dept. has Hurst jaws and cutter as well as rams.Our current pump to power these hydraulic tools has a bit of a problem with being reliable.We are looking to replace it but really don't know what is popular and reliable.Can anyone tell me the name and a horsepower preference?
    Thanks
    Mike

visit our site at www.geocities.com/oakwood_vfd

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...