Glass removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass removal

My department has many different ways of removing glass at MVA's. Glue spray, contact paper, tape and the good old spring load center punch. I was looking at a Staples catalog for office supplies, and came across a tape gun. Like the ones they use for taping up boxes. And I came up with the idea for using it for car windows. It is quick and with one swipe the tape is cut. I have never see something like this for glass removal before is any one else using something like this?

I have seen a number of departments use this tape dispenser to cover the glass before breaking it. It works well as long as you choose a good tape. It is very quick and stops the glass from shattering and going through the vehicle.
    Why not get one and practise with it, you may be surprised how good it is.

Comment

If your Department has been using the taping technique and is Happy with it, then the Dispenser you mention is a good way to go! I have seen then used with SOME success at Extrication Competitions. Notice I said SOME success, Most instructors I know DO NOT feel the benifits equal the efforts, this is especailly true if you are in a personnel power critical situation. This technique has also been noted to have some difficulties when Dirty window are encountered. However if YOU are currently using the tape method and there is not some other way you can more efficiently use your personnel, then by all means try it out! I just feel that sensible aproaches to Glass Brakeage and removal are in the end a more efficient use of your time.

By they way remember some cars out there are now using Laminated side windows

------------------
      Rescue is the Art & Science of matching your tools, talents and tricks to needs of our customers!
      Carl D. Avery

Comment

This may sound a little stupid, but how do you use the tape gun ? I mean where do you put the tape ? across the bottom top, all over ?

Comment

ANOTHER TRICK I USE ON LAMINATED GLASS IS TO COAT THE AREA WITH SHAVING CREAM THAT IS TO BE CUT. WORKS WELL WITH AN AXE OR GLASS SAW WHEN CUTTING. THE SHAVING CREAM HOLDS LOTS OF THE GLASS PARTICLES.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X