Hard Wood Cribbing... Transporting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Wood Cribbing... Transporting

Looking for suggestions on how departments transport hard wood cribbing from the truck to the scene. Like many departments we use the standard "keep it in the milk crate" method. Anyone have any better suggestions for storage and transport??

- Turk

Turk II, We use fibreglass fish tubs which are approximately 30" x 18" x 12" deep and have handles on both ends (I beleive they hold 10 gallons). One ff can carry these full of birch cribbing, although the load is a little heavy so we usually assign two.

Our 4' cribs and step chaulks are to long for the tubs so we carry these using rope handles attached to each piece of wood.

Comment

We have our cribbing in milk crates in the back of our rescue. The milk crates sit on a wooden backboard with two inch sides built on it. Two fire fighters can carry one back board loaded with 4 milk crates of cribbing. It works great.

Comment

We carry cribbing to the scene in aluminum containers with handles. Our rescue is set to have four full containers on each side of the truck. Each container has 4- 4x4, 4- 2x4, 4-1x4, 2 large wedges, and 2 small wedges. We also have spare cribbing brought to the staging area in case we need more. Each firefighter takes a box and does a corner of the vehicle. This has seemed to work well so far. The weight is a little more than a plastic container, but it's durability is better. Be safe

[This message has been edited by 86Rescuetech (edited 01-19-2001).]

Comment

I saw a nylon webbing carrier at last year's FDIC. I don't remember who makes it, but will look for the brochure that I picked up.

Comment

All of our cribbing has straps on the end. Grab a handful of straps, rock on !

------------------
            Eddie C. - a.k.a - PTFD21
            ECarn21's Homefire Page
            Local 3008
            "Doin' it for lives n' property"

Comment

I wonder how stacking it on a backboard would work ?

------------------
              Eddie C. - a.k.a - PTFD21
              ECarn21's Homefire Page
              Local 3008
              "Doin' it for lives n' property"

[This message has been edited by F52 Westside (edited 01-21-2001).]

[This message has been edited by F52 Westside (edited 01-21-2001).]

Comment

There is a handy little device known as the Crib Caddy, made by Cepco Tool. These are the same folks who make the ResQJak for stabilization.A single person can carry 16 4 x4s in each trip. They've got a website so check them out.

Comment

Would a hand cart of some sort work? Or is this what Billy is talking about? I've never seen a Crib Caddy so I'm not sure. A dolly would be pretty easy to stack quit a bit of cribbing on and save the old back, if the bottom plate is large enough.

Comment

Turk, our department just purchased large canvas bags (Boat Bags) from L.L.Bean size XL. Checkout their web at LLBEAN.COM.
                    We carry 8 bags on our rescue, 3 on the rescue pumper. We have each bag configured to carry 8 4x4's, 8 2x4's, 4 wedges and 2 chocks. Plenty to get a whole front stabilized with one bag. The bags come with large handles and are easy to carry with our cribbing length of 20". The bags are guarenteed for life from L.L. Bean and came with free monogramming. I think we spent a little over $200 for the 11 bags.
                    I also used these bags on my sailboat and have never had a problem - when they get dirty I just throw them in the washer and hang them out to dry.
                    There are similar bags out there from Zico but you are going to pay 2 to 3 times as much with no LIFETIME guarentee. Good Luck finding something.

Comment

On our apparatus we placed all of our
                      1 ft chocks and wedges in milk crates, and
                      screwed heavy nylon tie down strapping to our step, wedge, and flat chocks over 1 ft. One member can carry at least 3 chocks in each hand with the straps. This serves the purpose. be sure to use stainless screws. after using galvanized screws, we found that the galvanizing process weakens the screws and the heads have a tendency to break off after some use. Stainless won't rust and will probably outlive the chocks.

Comment

We use a milk crates for small stuff, 2x4's, small wedges, short 4x4's, the longer 4x4's and step chocks have rope handles, and we carry a few 30" 4x6's for the really big stuff that just sits in the compartment. I've seen some good ideas here though!

Comment

Firefighter

Originally posted by Turk II View Post
                          Looking for suggestions on how departments transport hard wood cribbing from the truck to the scene. Like many departments we use the standard "keep it in the milk crate" method. Anyone have any better suggestions for storage and transport??

- Turk

Suggestion for transporting cribbing from rig to scene. Try useing a large pneumatic tire hand truck. Modify it by increasing bottum surface and a strap to secure cribbing to hand truck.

Comment

Turk II: Just ran across your request for suggestions on transporting and storage of Hard Wood Cribbing> I specialize in custom made utility bags especially for Fire Departments and just developed a cribbing bag useing heavy duty 1000 denier cordura nylon with nylon tie-down strap in the middle plus two side straps for easy transport. If you want more info on this bag or any of our other services you can contact me at : [email protected]
                            >E.Velasquez-product development dept.

Comment

nylon strap handles on ends- color coded to size- and just bundle the wedges. We use similar method as Philliptonn stated for long walks. Great to read the different approaches though.

Not to change the thread, but anyone have any luck with the bags going down hill side instead 2-3 pieces at a time?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X