Extrication Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extrication Systems

Does anyone have any experience with the Power Hawk electric extrication tools? How do they stand up against hydraulic set-ups?

When I started up our fire equipment sales company I was looking for rescue tools and what they could offer my customers. I had a customer that was interested in an alternative powered tool. I told them of Power Hawk (I had visited a dept earlier that had one and was impressed with what I saw). I scheduled a demo for my customer and invited Curtiss Wright in. Before the demo, the RM wanted me to see what the tool would do. I invited a two FF's from my FD to go as they wouldn't care to hurt my feelings if they didn't like something. Both of them were amazed with the tools performance, one of the guys wanted to just cut up cars for us whenever we did demo's. The tool has been a real good asset to our company.

One final thought, larger career departments tend to be the last to accept change. The closest large city departments to me were using Power Hawk before we came on board. Nashville has 19, and Memphis has 13 units (the last that I heard). Evidentially there is something there.

Comment

Before you buy the power hawk my advise is to try out hydraulic tools. I know there is no way the power hawk can match the spreading force and cuttin force of hydraulic tools. My department tried on before we went hydraulic. Depending on your departments use of these tools should help you make a decison. There are more than one kind of battery powered tools out there. Try American Rescue technologies freedom system if you are sure battery system is what you want. Make sure you try all options before purchasing.

God Bless and stay safe

Comment

If your dept. has plenty of extra money, go ahead and buy the power hawk if you like it. Its a good toy, (that's right toy). I've played with one on a few cars when some salesmen put up a demo at our dept. Don't get me wrong I was impressed with what it would do. It did much more than I thought a battery powered tool would do. But don't think you can rely on it as your primary extrication tool, you can't. It's advantages in my opinon, it's light, easy 1 man operation, no power head, so no extra noise, power comes from a lawn mower battery available at any hardware store, it will cut a lot of stuff pretty efficently on new cars. But like I said it's a pretty cool toy, when things get deep though, old thick skinned cars, heavy trucks, farm equipment, etc. you'd better leave the power hawk on the truck. Personally i'd rather have a combination tool than a power hawk. It's cute but it doesn't have the power of the hydraulics, and it's not as versitle for the off the wall situations where you can use the old Hurst 32, and chain and blocks and what ever you can rig up to get the job done. Just my opinion, bottom line, if you get one, make sure you've got a hydraulic back up for it!

Comment

I don't take much credence in someone who spouts off about somthing that he knows NOTHING about, then makes himself unavailable ie e-mail, and or name. I also think this person was looking to here from departments that have and use the Power Hawk, not from people who may have seen it once and think they know all. I don't believe the people from Power Hawk ever once said that their tool was designed to replace the hydraulics, or was the cure all for extrication tools. You say that you prefer a combi tool, thats fine, but I suggest before you spout off on this subject you do some research on rescue tools, you will be amazed at what you find.
          Originally posted by cfr3504:
          If your dept. has plenty of extra money, go ahead and buy the power hawk if you like it. Its a good toy, (that's right toy). I've played with one on a few cars when some salesmen put up a demo at our dept. Don't get me wrong I was impressed with what it would do. It did much more than I thought a battery powered tool would do. But don't think you can rely on it as your primary extrication tool, you can't. It's advantages in my opinon, it's light, easy 1 man operation, no power head, so no extra noise, power comes from a lawn mower battery available at any hardware store, it will cut a lot of stuff pretty efficently on new cars. But like I said it's a pretty cool toy, when things get deep though, old thick skinned cars, heavy trucks, farm equipment, etc. you'd better leave the power hawk on the truck. Personally i'd rather have a combination tool than a power hawk. It's cute but it doesn't have the power of the hydraulics, and it's not as versitle for the off the wall situations where you can use the old Hurst 32, and chain and blocks and what ever you can rig up to get the job done. Just my opinion, bottom line, if you get one, make sure you've got a hydraulic back up for it!

Comment

My dept uses the power hawk on our MVA piece. We are not a rescue company we have mutual aid. The power hawk is great for initial attack. but after the hydrolics get on scene and set up we swich to them an do any other small jobs with the power hawk. If you don't get many accidents and your mutual aid rescue is right down the road then this is the tool for you other wise get a hydrolic tool

Robert,
            FIRE 2-2, EMS 2-13

Comment

look hellbender, first mind your own business, I've got the right to place my opinion on this forum, same as you, I'm not going to tell you what to write, so don't tell me. I'm not going to argue with you on this forum becasue no one, including me wants to see that stuff on here. The man asked if any of us had ANY experince with the tools, and how they compared. I told him of my experience and my opinion. If you don't like my opinion, don't read it. My E-mail address is now on my profile, apparantly I had forgotten to place it there. But if anyone sends an e-mail, attacking my posts or wanting to argue, I'm not responding, I don't have time for that. I apologize to all the other readers who like myself don't want to see this stuff, if I have offended them, for taking up forum space for this reply.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X