Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A005 The 'Insect' Rollover

A Posting From Forum Moderator Ron Moore

There are some great trends being tracked in the firehouse.com poll at each of the four decision points for this case study.

The boy in the pink shirt was the driver of the truck. The boy shown arriving was his friend who he called to come to the scene.

No one required medical attention. The insecticide truck driver ran the red light and was struck by the guy in the minivan who had the green light.

To assist those wishing to continue this incident within their own department, here is the specific hazmat information on the spilled insecticide.

The chemical was DEMAND CS Insecticide. It is described as a synthetic pyrethroid. The manufacturer is listed as Zenaca Inc, of Wilmington DE.

At this incident, the spill of the working solution of insecticide had already occurred by the time the fire department arrived on scene. The FD hazmat team did contain the residual puddle still in the leaking tank and disposed of all contaminated materials, equipment, and soil according to department protocols.

We're just glad it wasn't one of those larger lawn sprayer trucks you see driving around the neighborhoods. Are you prepared if this were to occur in your district?

I just have one question for those of you who recommended that the vehicle owner be called for the MSDS.
    To the best of my knowledge the MSDS information should be with the driver of the vehicle. Why not just call CHEMTREC and use them for what they were organized for? Just a question to see what went into the decision.
    I appreciate all of the input everyone has given on my previous questions.

------------------
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Captain
    Lewiston Fire Co. No. 2

Comment

After noticing in the picture that the man in the pink shirt seems to sitting about four feet from a plastic tank of some kind that became disconnected from the truck, I would remove the two men to a safe area and then make a hot zone around the truck and plastic tank until I can be sure of what that tank contains and the dangers it's contents poses by seeing the MSDS.

------------------

Comment

Just an obeservation on the last photo and replies. Why would you evacuate 1000 feet? What chemicals are in there. Unless you have worked this type of incident before, you don't know. One other note, if you call the company, the word "responsible person" might take on a new meaning. Is that person going to have the info available, or will they have to contact someone. The MSDS according to DOT should be in arms reach of the operator. Ask him first where they are and if he knows what is being used. CHEMTREC is a great resourse. They may not know exactly what is in there, but they can give us guidelines for pesticide control. Great article and discussion. Be safe.

Comment

Ron, Can you please tell me how to determine the "correct" course of action to the questions/Pics..

E-mail the answer to [email protected]

Thanks,
          Lt, David J.Plumb
          Swartz Creek Area Fire Dept.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader