Hurst Combi Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurst Combi Tools

I would like to hear the pros and cons of the 2 different combi tools Hurst makes.
    Which do you prefer (road runner or maverick) and why?

Buck

Buck,

When we purchased our newest set of tools in 1998, we bought our first combi-tool. We went with the Maverick! I can't remember the good juicy reasons why we went with one over the other, but we have had good success with it. I have had it fail on me twice, once trying to open a door of a new Vet(wouldn't budge the stabilizer bar) and once on the hinges of an older LTD. All my rescue geeks love the tool, and use it all the time. It will keep them in the fight twice as long. I have three gorilla's that are all spent after about 15 hard minutes with the ML-32A. We call it the "Lady Spreader", sorry ladies us Backwood Red-Necks haven't learned how to be politically correct yet, but my gals still use the "Big Boy". I personally am not a great fan of the tool, but it has made our chores some what easier!

I will say in closing that I have not found much use for the cutters on the unit. Other than the "A" post or maybe the "B" post. It is a good tool(either) to compliment a set of tool, but don't leave home with out the "REAL TOOLS".

------------------
    SERVING FOR PRIDE
    PROUD TO SERVE!

Comment

We use the Roadrunner and we love it. I can't say a thing about the Maverick, I don't remember why we went with the Roadrunner over it.

It is lighter and easier to use in odd positions, and a lot easier to manuever for those of us who are smaller..or like James said it will let people work longer.

My suggestion would be talk to your local dealer and have them bring demo models of both out and let your people work with them and decide for themselves.

------------------
      Susan Bednar
      Captain - Forsyth Rescue Squad
      North Carolina Task Force 1

Comment

We have had combo tools for over 10 years starting with the 1st "omni" and have had great success with them. We recently added to our selection with a maverick. With a little bit of training and slight change of technique it has proven itself to be one of the best tools we have ever owned. We now use it as the primary tool on all pin jobs.

Comment

We use a Maverick and have found it to be one of the more useful tools in our arsenal. I have found that the cutters on the unit will make longer (deeper) cuts than the O-cutter. We now use it as our primary tool and resort to the cutters and 32-A when the Maverick is in use or cant do the job. No complaints here. It is light weight and easy to use.

------------------
          Shawn M. Cecula
          Captain
          Lewiston Fire Co. No. 2

Comment

My suggestion is to have your rep bring both tools out for you to demo. We demo'd both the Maverick and Roadrunner and just liked the performance of the Maverick better. We now have 2 Mavericks, which we use for more than 75% of all our extications. We only use the "big" jaws when needed. The Maverick is the first tool off of the truck.

------------------
            JAY KURTZ
            CAPTAIN
            TRUMBULL CENTER FD
            WWW.TCFD.COM

Comment

We carry both the Maverick and the Road Runner and have found that the Maverick is the better tool. Their spec's show that the Maverick has a cutting force of 60,000 lbs vs. 38,000 lbs for the Road Runner and the Maverick has 1,000 lbs more spreading force. But like the others have said, have your local rep bring both for a demo. What works good for us, may be bad for you. The tool is only as good as the power unit supplying it and the amount of hose between it and the power.
              A little on the subject of o-cutters. The old o-cutters (JL-150) are that old. Look into getting the Mighty Bite (ML-50). They are more powerful. Or put your rep to work and demo the new extractor cutters.

------------------

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X