what tools to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what tools to use?

over the weekend we had a call for a man who overdosed on some meds. It was looking to be a normal squad call for us. When we arrived we noticed the front lawn had been turfed. The wife answered the door and showed us where he was.. well us getting to him was a problem. He was in the basement and somehow locked inside of his 6 foot by 4 foot walk in gun safe. Ok stop laughing its not really all that funny is it?
    Well we got the Jaws of Life out and it wouldn't budge the door, the locksmith didn't have time to come out. We spun the safe to fine out it the combination was written and it was not. Heck we even asked the guy for the combination but he didn't want us to know. We found out a bit latter his wife and child closed the door and locked him in the safe. Well we actually got lucky and found the combination written down on the ceiling about 50 feet away from the safe. Opened the door and saw he was smoking a cigarette. Not to bright of a guy because he was sitting on a keg of gunpowder.

How would be the best way to remove him from the safe if we didn't find a combination?

------------------

If the victim was not having a medical emergency, but just inconvenienced as yours was, if he would not give me the combination, I would have beat on the side of the safe very hard with a 12 pound sledge hammer, after about four or five hits Im sure he would tell you the combo.

Had he been unresponsive, I dont believe I would use anything that would cause a spark due to the probability of gun powder, first thing that I would due, is get the locksmith coming, next find a phone number for the company that built the safe, and send one of my guys to call them to see if they could tell us how to break into the safe.

While all of this is going on, I would take a stethoscope from the med bag, place it near the tumbler and try to listen for the numbers dropping like I seen them do in the old movies.

Comment

The Jaws of Life was the right tool of choice, however, for this situation what was required were the aviation entry tips rather than the automotive tips.

A small opening should be made (with a tool of your choice) to allow for the insertion of the aviation entry tips of the Jaws. This hole must be located in a position that provides a push point. The ideal spot would be in a corner of the cabinet. If the person is unresponsive, it should be assumed he is unconscious. You would then want to use one of the bottom corners of the cabinet.

Once you have the opening, make a cut across the bottom edge and then a vertical cut on each side of the cabinet. This provides a three-sided "door". Fold this flap up and access is gained.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X