rotory tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rotory tools?

Has anyone used or know of rotory tools to cut windshields?

------------------

Hef, I'm not sure what type of rotary tool you are referring to but as a practice, I have never seen a rotary cut-off type saw used on windshields. However, you have caught my curiosity.

I wonder if those Dremel or Roto-Zip tools could be used in a pinch.

A few years ago, a fire company near me tested and eventually purchased some kind of electric glass knife, sort of along the same lines as a jigsaw. I think it was called an Excalibur but I could be incorrect. They don't use it much. They feel it's faster with hand tools especially when you are going to make cuts with a hydraulic cutter anyway.

Stay safe

Rescue Lt. Kevin C. (aka Pokey)

Comment

Would a muffler cutter work? I have only used it for light duty metal and not glass.

Comment

Ron Moore, Carl Avery and myself tested different tools against "Enhanced Protective Glass last May. The best tools were: Excalibur, Glasmaster and Sawzall with an Milwaukee Ax (5/8 TPI) or Torch blade (14 TPI same as for cutting cars).

The Roto-Zip Tool did cut the EPG (laminated glass), but was very slow. However I have been told that it works very well for cutting the polycarbonate glazing. A circular saw with the blade reversed has also been said to effectively cut polycarbonate glazing.

Other tools such as a circular saw with a combination blade cut the glazing, which has the same properties as windshield glass, however produced the most hazards to patient and responders alike. Those operating a tool such as this with out safety goggles will increase the risk of eye injury drastically.

The glass fragments are directed a the face of the responder. Dust masks are highly recommended for any glass cutting tool, fine particles of dust are created and float freely as the glass is being cut.

------------------
        Ron Shaw
        http://www.extrication.com

Comment

Let me Second Ron's post, especially since my Name was mentioned. MY Vote for best overall though goes the the Glasmaster and the Other tools that have copied it (Imitation is the sincerest form of Flattery [not sure if Tom Wehr sees it like that though])These type of tools are your bet over all choice as a "First Out tool"! Honestly they are not as Fast as any of the powered competitors, but take into accout set up time, portablility and the Glasmaster and it cousins ability to deal with almost all forms (Temperd and Laminated Glass particularly) of glazing, make them my tool of choice for attacking Vehicle Windows. And to the Direct subject, the ROTOZIP was NOT impresive for this type of work, overall it seemed Slow and produced a tremendous amout of very fine Glass Dust, a possible source of silicosis - a disease of the Lungs from inhalation of silica dust. No, I am not a Doctor, but have spoke to some people from Environmental conservation and their imformed opinions leasd me to say that. Durring the Test the Ron Shaw speaks of I got to use a Milwaukee Circular Saw (7 inch blade, I believe) I found it clumsy to use. In Closing Let us never stop looking for new ways to do things, But lets be sure we Look at the whole package before we throw the "baby out with the bathwater"

------------------
          Rescue is the Art & Science of matching your tools, talents and tricks to needs of our customers!
          Carl D. Avery

[This message has been edited by Carl Avery (edited 12-10-2000).]

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...