Speedway Rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedway Rescue

We are in the running for securing rescue for a superspeedway that will be hosting the NASCAR Busch, INDY, and NASCAR truck series. Anyone have advice or special "In's and Out's" that we should watch for or be aware of beyond the normal problems of cutting on a race vehicle? Thanks and BE SMART...BE SAFE!

May I suggest you E-mail Dan Martelle ([email protected]) and Roger Ellis ([email protected]). Dan is the Fire Chief for RSI, a group that provides Fire/Rescue Services and other service ( Flagging, Communications etc. ) for Watkins Glen International Race Track. Roger is the Moderator of a Forum on Motor Sport Rescue on another bulletin board and Works on a Team that provides Rescue Services for several tracks in the Mid-west. Hope this Helps

------------------
    Carl D. Avery

Comment

Carl, thanks for the referral. Jim has e-mailed me, and I will reply personally to him. More information is also available at the website for Speedway Fire/Rescue at: http://www.speedwayfire.8m.com or other forums located at: http://www.firerescueonline.com and http://www.firefightersforums.com
      Thanks for your interest.

------------------
      Roger Ellis, Capt. Speedway Fire/Rescue
      http://speedwayfire.8m.com
      ICQ#: 61722026

Comment

I have never had the privilege of working any NASCAR venues. I have worked with CART which uses the same fuel (methanol) as IRL, so I do know there are some interesting differences between what to expect with them as opposed to high octane gasoline used in their support divisions.

Invest in ALOT of portable 2 1/2 gallon water extinguishers. Ideally, you would want to have two for each pit area as well as one 20 pound purple K for each pit area. You will also want to start stocking up on 5 gallon buckets and a few barrels to keep water in on your pit line. You might also want to start contacting the manufacturers of FIRE BUSTER and COLD FIRE to see if you can work out a deal for these additives. As I understand, CART now requires an additive in the water extinguishers, so I would not be surprised to see IRL do the same.

You will most likely find that you will also be involved heavily in track clean-up operations. Get proficient with course and fine oil dry. Make sure you have good push brooms and scoop shovels on your trucks and also sufficient numbers in the pit areas. The "big boys" are on tight TV schedules and don't want to hear about it when you can't find enough brooms to clean up an oil spill from pit box #2 that goes clear to box #28.

Good luck!!! If you need volunteers when the races come, send me an e-mail and I'll see if I can work a trip south into my vacation plans!

------------------
        Richard Nester
        Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

[This message has been edited by MetalMedic (edited 11-14-2000).]

Comment

Guys....
          Thanks for replying so quickly!!! I have already received some valuable info from you and that has been a blessing!!! For your info in how to further assist me, I should make it clear that fortunately for us, all we are asked to do is supply manned rescue vehicles. The track is using other personnel to maintain clean-up, pit fire protection, etc. All they expect from us is to cut and rescue a trapped driver. That will be a load off our backs, not having to worry about the other aspects of the event. We do provide weekly fire and rescue protection for a 1/2 mile dirt track at home and have experiences with situations involving concrete walls, roll-overs, methanol, etc. Again, Thanks for your replies and any other assistance you can pass along would be great!!!!

------------------

Comment

"The track is using other personnel to maintain clean-up, pit fire protection, etc. All they expect from us is to cut and rescue a trapped driver."

Get that in writing!!! That is a first in my experience. To be honest, I think I would miss being part of track operations as well as fire/rescue. But, if that is how you want it, more power to ya!

The only advise I can think of now is to pay CLOSE attention to Race Control and NEVER self-dispatch!!!

Good luck! I'll be looking for you on TV next season.

------------------
            Richard Nester
            Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Comment

Got to agree with Rich, While doing every thing can take alot of personnel. But, just doing cutting, well just like in the REAL WORLD we don't really get to do that that often. At the track I work at, we almost go on all impacts if there is a tool Job or not. We work with several disciplines, From Race Recovery to Course Marshals to EMS. I think it would be good for you to integrate with all these crews. Now having said all that. I will say that FIRE/RESCUE is the FIRST part of that group to get "kicked" Lose and sent back to station. TO me for best results YOU need to be part of an integrated approach to your RESCUE OPPS. A good working relationship with your Tow/Race Recovery is a MUST

------------------
              Carl D. Avery

[This message has been edited by Carl Avery (edited 11-15-2000).]

Comment

Congratulations! Jim, you and your crew are about to have some serious fun! I have been involved in race track fire rescue for many years. You guys will have some of the best seats in the house.

You are also accepting a huge responsibility. You are going to provide fire rescue services at a very intense and dangerous sporting event. You efforts will need to be extensively planned, practiced and practiced again! TV will not be kind to your efforts, no matter how successful you are. If there are problems with your dealing with the task at hand, many qualified and unqualified people will second guess your efforts in a second. The art of speedway rescue, and it is an art, differs immensly from the street rescue we are used to. There is no such thing as shutting down the roadway and spreading out your equipment. You will be expected to use a limited amount of equipment and personnel to perform the duties and you will only have a couple of laps to do it in. All the while, with a very few rare exceptions, the remaining competitors will be circling the track at 55-65 mph, if they are behind the pace car. When they come out of the pits, they will likely be at race speed in order to catch the pack. Race speed will vary from track to track and sanctioning body to sanctioning body. But you can expect to see 150-200 speeds.

At Watkins Glen International, we use Coldfire as our additive to water extinguishers. We use 10lb PK extinguishers in the pits as well as 3 John Deere Gaters, each manned with 2 FF and ten 10lb PK and 3 2 12 gal Coldfire ext. During our big events, we have started to use a P-19 airport crash tender as a backup response to serious pit lane and fuel station fires.

All of this is in additon to the army of Firefighters and trucks we use to cover the rest of the track.

As you can see, preparing to provide Fire Rescue services to a race facility is nothing to take lightly and it really takes several years of training and planning to get to the point of being able to call yourself "good" at it. There is no right or wrong way to approach the overall package, and you will find that each facility does it a little different from the rest. The best thing to do is to ask lots of questions, visit some large facilities and maybe bring in some outside help.

10-12 years ago, our forum moderator was a consultant to our team. Maybe Ron can offer up some ideas?

If I can ever be of any help to you, please email me and I will call you.

Good Luck!

------------------
                Dan Martelle

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse