"Jaws"/cutters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Jaws"/cutters

My volunteer department recently passed a new levy which should bring in a heck of a lot more money than the department has ever seen in its entire history. An item on our wish list, due to the volume and nature of calls, is a set of jaws and cutters.

If any department near the Scioto County/Portsmouth Ohio area is interested in donating OR selling a used set please contact me at [email protected] or [email protected]

We'd like to buy a used set from somewhere near here (The southern ohio, western west virgina, and northern kentucky areas) so we could drive to the location and see what we're buying.

Thank you.

Joshua Whitaker
    Morgan Twp. VFD
    Scioto Ambulance District - Squad 2

Josh:

One example of a vendor who sells used extrication tools near your area is Howell Rescue of Dayton Ohio.

Their used tool business even has its' own website;

http://www.usedrescuetools.com/

Ron Moore

Comment

Joshua,

Congrats on the levy. Have you even considered looking at buying new tools instead of used? You might be surprised to find someone who has a demo set that they can sell you that will come with a full warranty and you won't run the risk of buying someone else's problems. Shop around and have some sales people bring some tools to demo for you. Even if you do buy used, you will be better educated after you see the dog-n-pony shows and get to use tools made by different manufacturers.

------------------
      Richard Nester
      Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Comment

MetalMedic,

We did.......

Then we looked at the price tag..

Thanks for the responses, I've been trying to get in touch Finley Fire since they sell Hurst, but everyone I've talked to lately says not to get Hurst because they're too heavy.

Power Hawk is currently an option, does anyone have any experience with their tools?

Thanks for that URL by the way, I'll check it out soon.

Comment

I am so sick of people telling others not to buy Hurst cause they are too heavy, go to all the different websites and check for your self, they all have the specs for their tools, the only tool that Hurst has that is alot heavier than others, is the old 32a, and the transformer, the newer ml series are within five pounds of all other manufacturers tools, if someone is having trouble with a ml 32 cause it is three to five pounds heavier than a Holmatro, then they need to get their candy a** in the weight room!!

Im sure someone is going to say that those five pounds will make a big difference if you are using the tool for an hour, I say if you are using a spreader for a continuous hour then you better call someone that knows what they are doing.

Dont listen to any propaganda, call every manufacturer for a demo, find out wich brand the majority of your company likes best, rank them in order, then look at price,I suggest buying new tools also, the price may keep you from buying the tool that the majority likes best, but the second choice may be affordable, so you may have to compromise, and buy the second or third choice.

Comment

finleyfire.com - try that

------------------
            "Performance IS Everything"

Comment

Go though some of the posts in here and read some of the suggestions made for buying tools. While I personally like Phoenix, I disagree with anyone who trys to talk you out of buying any brand of hydraulic tool. I have used about all of them at one time or another and guess what, they ALL will do the job they are designed for.

Shop around, get them dealers in there with their demo sets and try them out. Check with your neighboring departments and see what they use and what they like and dislike about their particular brand. Service is an important concern. Try to find a company that has service people close by who can also give you a loaner tool should yours go out of service.

As for looking at price tags, I am sure if you look hard enough and "shake the trees", you will find someone with a set of tools that are new or almost new that will come with a warranty in your price range. As you can tell by reading the posts in here, it is a very competative market. There is also a sizable mark-up on these tools, so don't be afraid to haggle a bit over price. There is someone out there who will cut their profit in order to put their tools on your truck. Don't give up!

Here is the name of the AMKUS dealer in your neck of the woods...

Athens Fire & Rescue Equipment
              Jim Deardorff
              5040 Fisher Rd
              Athens, OH 45701

I can't find his phone number at the moment, but he is a real nice guy and I am sure he will be more than happy to help you out. Tell him that I referred you and I am sure he will do the best he can for ya.

Good luck!

------------------
              Richard Nester
              Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

[This message has been edited by MetalMedic (edited 11-18-2000).]

Comment

ems_rookie,
                you asked about the power hawk. here are some
                observations. As you are aware, it runs off of its own electric power source. It will do the job with the proper training of your technicians. I find the draw backs as changing the blades/tip when u want to go from spreader to a cutter. To use the ram, you need the spreader tips on to extend it. I find it a little awkward to use, but others dont. Price is good, probably less than its hydraulic cousins. Every tool has its ups and downs. Look at them all and decide for yourself.

Comment

We are in the process of buying a small powerpack, Combi(cutter/spreader), and a cutter. We are going with Lukas since we have some already. Talk to the dealers they have the demos.

Comment

One of the most important factor that I feel should come into your selection process is service.

My department chief officers loves one particular brand of hydraulics. Not because they have to lift the tool, use the equipment, its service.

Should there be a problem in the tool, that day a rep will be there with tools in hand or an exchange unit.

If you buy a tool that is most reasonable, but you can't get service right away is it that great of a deal.

Next factor is availability of parts now and in the future. If you have an older tool and you have to do a lot of work on it and then find it may have a part that you can no longer get???

Find out the history of that tool, service records, why was it turn in... contaminated hydraulic fluid will cost a small fortune if all the seals need replacing. I personally saw this happen. Motor oil was put into a old 32A system, the result coal tar like viscosity. And, all the equipment that was connected to that system had leaks six months down the line.

Moral of the story, find out as much as you can about the used equipment you are getting, what looks like a deal may cost you more than it's worth in the long run.

There are some very good deals out there on used equipment. Again research the service records, most of the service people keep excellent records on tools. It shouldn't be hard to inquire about the tools past service record. If the tool was continuously in the shop, move on...

------------------
                    Ron Shaw
                    http://www.extrication.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse