No announcement yet.

Extricate or not extricate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are certianly some issues here! Just to throw my opinions in, here goes: To go along with somethings that have already been said, it's true there are a lot of people who need to wake up and realize that getting a paycheck for providing ems doesn't make you a better provider. 1. I've seen both paid and volunteers that i would crawl into to woods and hide to to die in peace if they were coming to treat me! (OK so that's a little excessive, but you get the point) 2.Attitudes on scene never accomplish anything. Pt care and scene safety are paramount, worry about other stuff later. 3. In my experience there are a great many ALS providers who may be the best at IV's, Intubation, Monitoring, etc. but have forgotten (or never learned) basic EMT skills. Fortuately for me, I don't have to deal with this problem on an MVA scene anymore. My department handles all aspects on a scene. We're an all volunteer Fire & Rescue dept. We bring the firetruck, the ambulance and the rescue truck. There are no quarrels between agencies on one of our MVA's, we're all on the same team. And if possible we have an EMT or ALS provider(what ever is available) in turnout gear in the vehicle with the patient if at all possible. The Paramedic in this situation should be investiaged by the OMD or a peer review committe because this type of attitude and patient care,(or lack there of) can be very detrimental to the potential patients. As far as i'm concerned if they patients have crawled out on there own by the time i get there, we're going to get them out, if it involves extrication or not. If they want to sign a refusal after that, so be it. OK, now I too am off my soap box! and hope these incidents can be a learning experience for all of us. Good luck to all in the paid-volunteer and Fire-EMS problems. I guess until we're all paid or all volunteer problems will always exist!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
    Working...
    X